Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juo100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Before you read on I shall mention my solution costs US $14.95 one-time if that doesn’t appeal to you then this wont be worth reading. I totally get it if anyone doesn’t want to, its annoying that Apple didn’t implement this within Mobile Me, who the **** wants an @me address anyway!

Anyway.... here is How To

Like you, I wanted to use MobileMe with a custom email address, following another post on this forum I got it working with GMail, taking advantage of their SMTP servers, however their was one cosmetic bug, and that was all the emails I sent showing up as
"sent on behalf of"
I didn’t really like this and thought it looks fairly nasty so I tried to find a service that can force messaging going through their SMTP server to change the "from" field. (To my custom address).

This is the Google/Microsoft "bug" as seen in hotmail (with my email addresses blanked out but you get the idea)
23696df2a2606a7cd950aca3556f2cd5.png

As I understand it will affect anyone using Hotmail or Outlook

I also wanted to maintain the push functionally of Mobile Me so editing the SMTP server was the only option.

What’s the catch? You have to sign up to a service called fastmail and to use their SMTP servers pay a one time fee of US $14.95 one-time, with the exchange rate in the UK being so good at the moment I thought this was a pretty modest asking.

I also wanted to maintain the push functionally of Mobile Me so editing the SMTP server was the only option.

Step 1: Forward all email from the domain you wish to use to your Mobile Me account in my case karl@customdomain.com forwards to karl@me.com

Step 2: Configure Mobile Me on your iPhone as you would normally, send an email to your custom domain and make sure its being forwarded to the Mobile Me email.

Step 3: Register an account at Fastmail you will need the member plan https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?MLS=LN-*;UDm=49;MSignal=SI-*N-1*Mem

Step 4: Log into your new fastmail account via http://www.fastmail.fm/beta/
Go to Options -> Personalities
Double click your default personality.
There should be a checkbox "SMTP force From"
Make sure it's checked
Click "Save Personality"

Your settings will look something like this
5395b589d9de7fb3bd0841848c08d7d1.png

Make sure its set as your "default personality" if you dont see the "SMTP force from" option you’re not in the BETA version of the website make sure the URL is /beta/

Step 5: Almost there, grab your iPhone and
Go to Settings
Mail, Contacts, Calendars
under accounts select your mobile me account
Account Info
SMTP
Add Server...

Configure it as
Server On
Hostname: mail.messagingengine.com
Username: (your fastmail login including @fastmail.fm)
Password: (your fastmail password)
Use SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Port: 465

make sure all SMTP servers are turned off apart from mail.messagingengine.com
49bcbc18834e98caa532866acaaca624.png

Step 6: Ok now try and send an email, everything *should* be working and contacts will see all emails as your custom domain. Congrats :D

A couple of notes
-----------------------------

Its normal for EMails within the Mail client to show the address as you@mac/me.com this will be changed once it gets to fastmail's servers.

So unless someone can find an SMTP server that does the same free of charge, this is a full featured no bugs solution (as far as I can tell)

I want to thank zhak for helping me request the feature http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=53336
And Fastmail for implementing my feature request http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=53342

PS: Im not affiliated with Fastmail in anyway, if anyone can find a free SMTP server that will force add a custom email address then just use these instructions in conjunction with the free SMTP server. I realize this looks like an advert for their services im just sharing how I got working and if people feel that its worth the money they can use it as well.

Finally if you want an email to test this with, http://www.guerrillamail.com/, make a quick account their and send it email, the from field should show your custom domain.
If you want to make sure the bug is gone open a Hotmail account (serious effort involved)

9d35a03e9908a18526b6fbf08fe3320b.png

No more sent on behalf of, note neither @Mac or @Me ends in @......tl.com, ive just blanked out some of my email to protect my identify.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Great find. Comcast.net allows you to send smtp email from any address, but there's no option to FORCE a different reply-to address on the server side.

Thus, you can set it up the way you have it, except you need two accounts -- one "pure" mobileme account to get push email, calendar, and contacts, and another mobilme account set up as a hybrid imap using your personal domain email address for set up, mobileme for incoming and comcast.net for outgoing.

lucypug

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
yeah, but does this work from the me.com website?? That's where I need a different FROM email address instead of the me.com. I finally got the iphone FROM address to kind of work after hours and hours of experimenting around and it's still far from perfect. thanks apple.

ksgordo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Another solution to the how to use MobileMe with any email address problem

Loa PowerTools, with which I happily disclose a connection, sells a solution that several people with this problem have found useful. It's also useful for anyone with more than one email address and for anyone who carries a laptop. See, for example, this entry on MacOSXHints .

degreecy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
didn't work for me... any hints appreciated!

Was hopeful this was a stopgap way of using my company email until they tell us how to configure iphone for exchange (not a simple process since we have some interim gateway before the servers).

So followed the instructions... unfortunately it didn't work for me. It appears as though by forcing the FROM field, my company rejects because it must recognise it is not coming from within ?

This is the mail system at host out1.messagingengine.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<USER@DOMAIN.com>: host
server.DOMAIN.com[x.x.x.x] said: 554 5.7.1
<USER@DOMAIN.com>: Sender address rejected: domain use is
reserved (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Any help gratefully received !

Paul

degreecy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
anyone got any ideas how to get past this problem ? is it a case that our company has anti-spam software which is detecting that it is not coming from the internal network ?

rje

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
It doesn't work. At least not as presented above. I'm a Fastmail customer. They handle my domain. It will allow you to send using your personal email address from your iPhone. The problem is that it messes up the iPhone mail app vis a vis me.com. First of all, I stopped receiving push mail. Secondly, when I open the mail app it either spends several minutes checking for mail, or it gives me an error message saying:

"The connection to the server mail.me.com failed.

So what appears to be an elegant solution, isn't.

Mail2Web appears to be the only solution to push email with a personal "from" address.

degreecy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Actually, I have found it does work exactly as the tip is shown. The only exception is if I mail people in the same domain I then get an undelivered message as above. I suspect this is because of some other checks being made by our company mail server ? Any ideas anyone ?

rje

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Actually, I have found it does work exactly as the tip is shown. The only exception is if I mail people in the same domain I then get an undelivered message as above. I suspect this is because of some other checks being made by our company mail server ? Any ideas anyone ?

I just tried it again. This time it worked. It's sending from my selected address and I'm getting push. So I apologize for my earlier criticism of this tip. Obviously, I'll continue to monitor this.

lucite

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
What about syncing the SENT mail

PLEASE HELP CLARIFY THIS FOR ME IF YOU CAN.

This is a neat trick, but I'm wondering how it works with respect to syncing outgoing mail accross multiple machines and iPhones.

It seems that if you send an email from your desktop Mail (using your existing not-me.com IMAP SMTP) then that will indeed sync accross all machines and iPhones. BUT if you send through FastMail.fm then I don't see how it can sync your Sent mail since you are not routing your outgoing mail through your not-me.com SMTP.

Perhaps it would work if you use FastMail.fm's SMTP for all your machines (desktops and iPhones), but then it's a little messy as Mail will list 2 Sent mail folders.

Anyone have any feedback on any of this?

Thanks!

svandive

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Does this still work??

Anybody know if this still works or not. If so what account type or member level needs to be signed up for at FastMail??

Thanks
Scott

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.