Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critten

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
How can i change my current gmail account in itunes to my mobile me account? I can't even log into it nor create an account in itunes because it says it is reserved for a mobileme customer

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
How can i change my current gmail account in itunes to my mobile me account? I can't even log into it nor create an account in itunes because it says it is reserved for a mobileme customer

See itunes/store/view my account/edit account info/ email address is first line

critten

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
You cannot change this account to an existing mobileme email address. if you would like to use your mobileme account you can cancel and sign in using your mobile me account.

thats the error. it will not let me log in with my mobileme account though i have the right password and can access my email...

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I also wanted to change my iTunes account e-mail over to me.com because I'm gradually abandoning my old address.

I got the same message about logging in with your me.com address but then wouldn't DRM protected music be flagged as a completely different account? I'm trying to avoid buying anything with DRM from iTunes but this is still a real issue.

Why won't they let me transfer my existing account details to my me.com account? I don't want to have separate logins and multiple authorisations for different music tracks because of DRM.

mrfcobf

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Submitted to the Online iTunes Support Staff

Thank you

Thank you for submitting your question to Apple. We respond to requests in the order they are received, and will contact you within 24 hours.
Back to iTunes Store Support page

Here goes 'nothin!

eldervovichka

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
I already asked Apple this and we can not change the iTunes account address or we would loose our music... The music is linked to that e-mail if you switched you would have to start over building your library... That is what Apple told me.

I am sure someone out there has a loop whole on how to get around it.
If you do let me know!

Jeff

mrfcobf

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
The guy from applecare today told me that they can at their discretion, combine accounts, so if you have a non-MobileMe account and are moving to a MobileMe account, they can combine the two.

We'll see what they say.

At least I was able to change the email over to my new account...

mrfcobf

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
I got a prompt reply back, but unfortunately the answer is that the error message pretty much speaks for itself. You can't have your mobileme address as an account name too.

CeeDubb

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Trabuco Canyon, CA
I already asked Apple this and we can not change the iTunes account address or we would loose our music... The music is linked to that e-mail if you switched you would have to start over building your library... That is what Apple told me.

I am sure someone out there has a loop whole on how to get around it.
If you do let me know!

Jeff

This was incorrect information. You can change your email address for your iTunes account (just not to a MobileMe address).

In iTunes, go to STORE > VIEW MY ACCOUNT

Click on EDIT ACCOUNT INFO next to your Apple ID

Change your email address and click DONE

When you get back into iTunes, click on STORE > DEAUTHORIZE COMPUTER

Then STORE > AUTHORIZE COMPUTER

Your iTunes purchases will play fine and sync fine...

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone find a solution to this by contacting Apple directly to see if they can merge the MobileMe Account with your old account?

rockstarguy

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Okay, while this is slightly off topic, I figured this was the best thread for it, that I could see...

I, too, tried changing my e-mail in iTunes to my MM e-mail address, but get the same error. And then I go to myinfo.apple.com to see if I can find what's wrong, and it shows that my MM username and password don't exist or are incorrect, and I know they're correct.

So, is this Apple ID different from my MobileMe account? Is this why I also can't sync my damn MacBook to MobileMe? This is just so damn frustrating and I can't even use the service correctly/how it's supposed to be working, and it feels like a waste of money... Any suggestions?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I had the same issue when I tried to change my gmail account to my .mac address last year. I ended up just creating a new account, and having to activate twice each time I transfer/restore my library. It's a flaw that Apple really has to fix! You listening Steve?

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.