Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Hey guys, I've heard two different versions of what I should do.

I have an old iPhone now running 2.0 that has just been pwned and unlocked. itunes opened up and is asking me whether i want to set it up as a new iPhone or restore from a backup. I want the same stuff on it, but it would be pretty easy to just re-add it if I should set it up as a new iPhone.

Any thoughts?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I'm just gonna set it up as new and have a clean slate. Please reply though for future people who might search for posts/threads with this title. Thanks guys.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
You always want to set up as new where your phone was previously jailbreaked as there are lots of 3rd party settings which can cause wierd issues.

However if your phone was not jailbreaked - just a standard phone then restoring from back up won't cause any problems because its all Apple applications that are restored - there are no files that shouldn't be there or may cause problems.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
How much do you like your SMSs/Notes/Call History/Camera Roll/...

I'm just gonna set it up as new and have a clean slate. Please reply though for future people who might search for posts/threads with this title. Thanks guys.

As I see it, anything that is sync'ed on (so music, videos, podcasts, contacts, calendars, e-mails, applications from the iStore) will go straight back on with the first sync whether you select restore from backup or set up as a new phone. What I do not think will reappear if you choose set up as a new phone are things such as previously sent and received SMSs, call history, saved wireless networks, notes and photos stored in the Camera Roll (as opposed to photos taken with the camera, downloaded into iPhoto and then reuploaded to the phone via Photo syncing in iTunes). Personally I really want the SMSs in particular to come across (photos I can get via iPhoto, notes are nice but not essential, previous call history is something I can live without).

Of course, if you have already Jailbroken the iPhone you can copy off the required databases, set up as a new phone and then restore the databases remembering to chown the files as mobile:mobile after coping them back on (as you will copy them on as the root user but they need to be writeable as the mobile user and I suggest powering off and on again afterwards to just to be safe.

Alternatively if you have a recent backup of the phone via iTunes (see folders inside ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup) you can retrieve the databases from there by following the instructions at http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/22/howto-restoring-your-iphone-notes-from-a-mac/ (substituting in different locations on the iPhone when restoring the files for the newer firmware, so mobile not root, and different databases, e.g. /var/mobile/Library/SMS/) - note this still needs a Jailbroken iPhone to restore the databases to it (just not to get them in the first place) and will need the chown'ing as above.

Just my 0.02 GBP...;)

Alec

almostaskater62

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Maybe you can answer this question that I've tried asking seven hundred times-
If I choose to set up an iPhone as a new one after a clean restore, how do you link it to yur existing AT&T account and activate?

Thank you kindly

almostaskater62

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
can no on answer his question? I've asked it on numerous forums numerous times. Any answer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
It doesn't need to be activated to get your network settings!

It is all down to the SIM card - if your on a legitimate iphone contract it will take all the settings off the SIM card (and those saved in the firmware) and everything will work again.

msmaron

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
well i did restore it with the backup so lets see what happens now..

mark
:confused:

WORKS GREAT.. and doing upgrades for Cydia as we speak.. Only problem is cant change the background picture from my photos.. but could not before???

tdevers

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
I upgraded from a pwnage 1.1.4 to a pwnage 2.0 with restore and mail fails to start, I get a new mail notification once a minute and a flat battery in 1-2 hours.

I'm going to reinstall 2.0 tonight and set it up as a new phone. Like someone mentioned above, a clean slate is nice to have. I say got for a restore, if you have any issues re-do it as a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.