Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I charge my iPhone by plugging it into my Mac, which is the closest USB or power outlet to the top of the desk. When I plug it in, the Mac wakes from sleep, runs iPhoto and wants to sync. Can someone tell me how to stop this?

On a similar note, I seem to be confused about syncing photos. I have iTunes set to not sync, but as I said, iPhoto keeps wanting to sync anyway. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work? Perhaps everything in the "photo role" always syncs until you put it into some other place in iPhoto?

Maury

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think that you can stop iPhoto from syncing when you plug in your iPhone. I find it annoying as well.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think that you can stop iPhoto from syncing when you plug in your iPhone. I find it annoying as well.
You can for sure turn off automatic syncing. I did it a year ago and have forgotten exactly how, but I think there is an option in the iPhoto preferences to turn off syncing automatically with a connected camera.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
The setting is, oddly, in the Image Capture preferences. But it turns it off for all digital cameras, not just the iPhone.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
The setting is, oddly, in the Image Capture preferences. But it turns it off for all digital cameras, not just the iPhone.

I can live with that! Is there an option somewhere to manually sync when this option is turned off?

Maury

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I can live with that! Is there an option somewhere to manually sync when this option is turned off?

Maury

You should be able to just launch iPhoto when the iPhone is plugged in and it should mount at that point. Of course, that's not what happened to me this morning, but that's the normal behavior.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

I didn't have this problem as I'd already disabled the autosync so my camera wouldn't cause iPhoto to launch all the time. It's interesting to me that the problem exists with connecting the iPhone. I think Apple should have made an exception with the iPhone. I would have forgotten about disabling it in Image Capture.

To manage photo synching for the iPhone, there is a setting in iTunes for that. You can choose which photo rolls get synched much as you do with music playlists.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I am also having this problem

I am also having this problem. I plug in my iPod Touch and it always opens iPhoto. I took off photo syncing with iTunes and did nothing. I have iPhoto v6.0.6 and I could not find a "disable sync" anywhere in the preferences. I fond the application image capture but when I open it, nothing happens (the menu switches for a split second from finder to image capture then back to finder). So I have no idea how to disable the sync. any help would be great

mugwump4

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
If you open Image Capture with the device in question connected (in this case, my iPhone) it gives you the option to specify what application is used when the specific device is connected.

Ergo, my iPhone will not open iPhoto. My wife's iPhone and my cameras will.

Caveat: This may be a Snow Leopard improvement......

verdee

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I wish that it would remember which photos were synced previously, it's annoying that iPhoto opens each time the phone is plugged when the photos haven't changed.

the57thvirus

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Switch off iPod sync with iPhoto when connecting to mac

I charge my iPhone by plugging it into my Mac, which is the closest USB or power outlet to the top of the desk. When I plug it in, the Mac wakes from sleep, runs iPhoto and wants to sync. Can someone tell me how to stop this?

On a similar note, I seem to be confused about syncing photos. I have iTunes set to not sync, but as I said, iPhoto keeps wanting to sync anyway. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work? Perhaps everything in the "photo role" always syncs until you put it into some other place in iPhoto?

Maury

Just go to iPhoto > Preferences > General > Connecting Camera Opens > change to No Application. Enjoy! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.