Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dslynch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hi,

I'm new to macs (but NEVER going back - I ***** love this mac!).

Anyway, I'm trying to use GarageBand to edit a song I have in iTunes. I'm putting together a CD, and want to edit out about 5 minutes of crowd interaction in the middle of a song from a live CD.

I should be able to use Garageband for that, right? When I go to file/open/my library/itunes/itunes music, none of the songs in my itunes library are available? They're all visible, but shadowed/grayed/whatever-you-call-it.

What am I doing wrong? This song is fully purchased and legal, I just want to edit out useless crowd interaction so that the song takes up less space on the cd I'm going to burn for myself.

Thanks.

apple.

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
at my desk in, CA
Hi,

I'm new to macs (but NEVER going back - I ***** love this mac!).

Anyway, I'm trying to use GarageBand to edit a song I have in iTunes. I'm putting together a CD, and want to edit out about 5 minutes of crowd interaction in the middle of a song from a live CD.

I should be able to use Garageband for that, right? When I go to file/open/my library/itunes/itunes music, none of the songs in my itunes library are available? They're all visible, but shadowed/grayed/whatever-you-call-it.

What am I doing wrong? This song is fully purchased and legal, I just want to edit out useless crowd interaction so that the song takes up less space on the cd I'm going to burn for myself.

Thanks.

you go go onto the right bottom and click the media browser, and then iTunes > Music > THE SONG YOU CHOOSE

if you need help, you can comment back.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,664
  • help.png
    help.png
    15 KB · Views: 38,812

dslynch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Geez, I always feel like an idiot when the answer is SO easy. Thank you.

kwissylawrencek

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
yeah, i always drag it from finder. I kept having problems with the media browser in garage band. But remember, if you are just going to drag it into garage band, you need to drag it into the grey space beneath any existing tracks (including the first initial empty track).
Very handy for making ringtones without putting the whole song on your phone.

shirleejen

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Editing itunes in GarageBand

I have no trouble bringing itune songs into GarageBand. But I don't have a clue as to how to edit them. I have no trouble editing itune music in iMovie, but it doesn't seem to work the same way in GarageBand. I am trying to create a medley of songs for an iPhoto slideshow. Any pointers would really be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.