Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the bluetooth built in. It worked great with the original iPhone. Callers could not tell they were on speaker phone.

Now I had a couple iPhone 3G calls over the same system and:
1) I can hear my own echo (but not the other end)
2) The other caller tells me I'm breaking up.

Anyone else experience similar problems.

tacos

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
iPhone 3g bluetooth car problems

i hear the echo as well.

I have an 07 BMW that worked PERFECTLY with the first iPhone.

with the 3g iPhone i get these problems:
-phone gets hot when connected
-phone iteslf freezes, i can rarely unlock or use phone functions
-contacts, missed/recent calls etc no longer appear in my cars readout

Hopefully this gets addressed in a software update and the phones arent defective?!

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue, and I'm having all sorts of Bluetooth trouble.

The echo, yes, and I have to constantly repair the phone each time I get back in the car. What a pain in the butt.

Yes, let's hope there's a software fix, and let's make sure we let Apple know there's a problem.

Apparently, this is a wide-spread problem: Apple Discussion Forums

tacos

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
in addition to the above problems. does anyone else have the problem where, when connected to bluetooth the phone gets hot, and freezes up? (cant unlock etc).... worked perfectly in old 1.1.4, all this is new in 2.0 so i can only assume a software update will clear it up

pg18

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
iPhone 3G OEM Car Bluetooth Problem

I have an 08 BMW and the echo is terrible on the 3g iphone. I had an old iphone that worked perfectly. Sometimes messing with the volume of the iphone helps. I have minimized the echo by cranking the volume up to the max on the phone. It's almost bearable. Let's hope a fix is available soon...

MarketMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
iPhone 3G OEM Car Bluetooth Problem

Exact same issue in a 2007 Camry.

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the bluetooth built in. It worked great with the original iPhone. Callers could not tell they were on speaker phone.

AnotherLabRat

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Sad to hear this since I'm upgrading my car stereo to one with integrated bluetooth.

Since 1st gen iphone works well and 2nd doesn't....have any of you tried turning off 3G in the settings?

I don't really see a need for 3G just to take calls, so it's worth a shot.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I think 3G may have something to do with it because I've had to repair my phone after sitting in a parking lot Web surfing.

Some also mentioned cranking the sound on the phone minimizes the echo, and I've also found this to be true.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius (I assume it's the same OEM Bluetooth system as yours) and I have the EXACT same problem. Audible echo of my voice and the callers always say I'm breaking up.

It's good to know I'm not alone at least. Keep me posted if you find any solution and I'll try to do the same!

boba2z

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
iPhone 3G Car Bluetooth Problem

I have a 2008 Mercedes C300 with the bluetooth built in. It worked great with the original iPhone. Callers could not tell they were on speaker phone.

Now all iPhone 3G calls over the same system and:
1) I can hear my own echo (Callers sound great)
2) The other caller tells me I'm breaking up, garbled - bad.

Obviously, something went wrong, really needs to get fixed.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I have an 04 Acura TL and the handsfree works better than any of my previous phones. Sound quality is near-perfect and the dash display shows my signal strength, battery level, and incoming call ID.

fetalsono

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Echo problem with iPhone 3g- BMW 2008

I have the same echo problem as others. some have suggested that changing the version of firmware either in the BMW or iPhone may help. How do you find out which version is running and how do you change it?

Thanks

hsc6

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Audi 2008 OEM bluetooth

Australia 3G iphone will pair and connect (fairly reliably) to the MMI bluetooth factory-fit; but loses connection when ignition key is removed and will not automatically reconnect. To reconnect you have to unpair etc etc.
Apple Australia helpdesk 1300-321-456 says 23jul08 that bluetooth is a recognised problem and currently firmware only works well with apple bluetooth headset, apple are looking for a fix.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Australia 3G iphone will pair and connect (fairly reliably) to the MMI bluetooth factory-fit; but loses connection when ignition key is removed and will not automatically reconnect. To reconnect you have to unpair etc etc.
Apple Australia helpdesk 1300-321-456 says 23jul08 that bluetooth is a recognised problem and currently firmware only works well with apple bluetooth headset, apple are looking for a fix.

Noticed the same thing today on a different car. Every time I got into the car I had to unpair and repair the phone. Not cool.

Top it off with Bad Echo and everyone asking "what" and I'm simply thrilled with the performance.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I'm having the echo problem with my iPhone 3G and my Infiniti EX35's hands-free Bluetooth system. My callers (or those I've called) report hearing the echo on their end too!

This is a SIGNIFICANT problem and it happens for me on EVERY call in the car! EVERY single time!

I am seriously considering returning the iPhone 3G before my 14 day return window is over. My original iPhone did not have this problem.

Mark

cranbrooke

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
2006 Prius owner here....exact same problem. I hope Apple releases a patch soon!

I too have the same problem with my 3G iPhone and 2006 Prius. The bluetooth in my car worked perfectly fine with my Motorola phone. Now I'm getting a lot of complaints that I sound distant and words are dropping....very frustrating and disappointing.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
2006 BMW 330xi w/ iDrive - bluetooth handsfree and iPhone 3G seem to be working fine. No echo so far as have been reported elsewhere. Also worked well with my original iPhone.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I did a complete restore, and since then, I haven't had a problem beyond the echo, which is overcome when I crank the sound on the phone up. I hope this helps.

hsc6

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Audi 2008

No the new 2.01 firmware made no difference to OEM bluetooth problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.