Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stangdude22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2008
I love the new remote app, but since I have gotten it I have had my :apple:tv crash three times. Anyone else notice this?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I am having huge issues with this. It is getting annoying as I have to wait forever for the ATV to reboot (sits on Apple logo for awhile).

I have really noticed this when switching between movies.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
yeah, it happens to me too. So far I think it only happens when I'm browsing movies, but it is hugely annoying. Makes the remote app pretty useless.
I'm wondering if it only happens when browsing media streamed from the mac, as that is where all my movies are. Any input on this?

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
Yup - I've had the remote software restart my iPhone several times, and had the :apple:tv restart earlier this week too. It's a nice idea for an app, but it seems that it was released too early with insufficient testing. Hopefully they'll release an update to it soon.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I just found out that it appears to be the ATV software and not the remote app. It crashed twice today while browsing and playing movies via the remote (little white one) and not using the remote app on my iPhone.

The thing is, it does not do a full restart, it just crashes, brings up the Apple Logo and launches back into the menus. It takes about 60 seconds to do this.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
The latest Apple TV firmware is buggy as hell in my experience. I have my fingers crossed for an update soon, but I am trying not to think much about it because it upsets me this one even got out.

I made a post about another big problem with this version, and no one here even responded, but if you load up some video podcasts, you will notice unreliable alphabetization (not always alphabetized), missing blue dots to show new episodes unless you exit out of podcasts and then go back in, and also the description and time no longer shows for podcasts you only have ONE episode of (it instead says "contains one episode").

My suggestion?
http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I just found out that it appears to be the ATV software and not the remote app. It crashed twice today while browsing and playing movies via the remote (little white one) and not using the remote app on my iPhone.

The thing is, it does not do a full restart, it just crashes, brings up the Apple Logo and launches back into the menus. It takes about 60 seconds to do this.

I have seen the same behavior, but only since the latest update which allowed for control via the remote app.

Obviously Apple is way overextended, and is bound for more and more problems like these. Complex systems have ways of interacting with one another.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
this is absolutely true...I noticed it right off the bat...the remote has caused my ATV to reboot at least 5 times...it's pis*ing me off!! great app but it's not working...has anyone also noticed that if you click on a video podcast on the remote app, it does not play the one u touch, for example if I click on 7/27/08 it will play the 7/25/08 video podcast...it's killing me!! I reinstalled the app but still does it

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Bump... iPhone 4, Apple TV, remote app = Apple TV will crash and iPhone loses WiFi, then requests the WiFi key to log back in but won't work until you disable WiFi then enable it again. Any ideas?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I don't use the remote app any longer (or very infrequently) because it did seem to cause the Apple TV to misbehave (crashes on the Apple TV sometimes preceded by very sluggish performance). However, I really don't know whether this still happens with the newest remote app since I pretty much gave up on the app several months ago. In any case, I don't recall it ever causing problems on the iPhone -- just on the Apple TV itself.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I really like the app, espcially when I'm in a different room and listening to music. If I'm playing music the sound will start stuttering then it will reset and at the same I'll check my iPhone and it will have lost WiFi. The only way to get WiFi back on the iPhone is to disable it and then renable it. I think it might have to do with the way the iPhone disconnects from the Apple TV after not using the remote for a longer period of time. Just a thought, still trying to narrow it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.