Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

francisc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
OK, I've worked in IT long enough to know a few things about multi-tasking. I've also owned enough PDA's to know, that only more recently have they been able to cope with doing more than one things at once. Also, if technology is badly coded at managing 2 things at once, the overhead hit can go through the roof.

OK, so if I read between the lines of the many different issues with the Iphone, some seem far more effected than others. However, a pattern may be emerging. The different groups, that worked on each of the Iphone 3G's core functions would have been told what technology gets priority and when. If one of those functions has a little too much priority, the other function may think the device has locked or may itself lock (look frozen) or instead of taking twice as long, take 5 times as long.

My years of doing benchmarks with multitudes of computer systems (single and multiprocessor), what I'm reading here, in effects looks a lot like thrashing.

Just read a post from a guy who sayings synching is "SO SLOW". I'd like him to try turning off the phone itself, the 3G, the edge - effectively turn it into an Itouch (my Itouch (upgraded), synching is very fast !!

Indeed, thrashing may explain the heavy reduced battery life where people see the Iphone 3G switching constantly to edge and 3G. Again a simple firmware fix to say (Don't search for 15 secs after 1st switch my help a lot).

Just an observation, as I say, I've benchmarked for years and this device looks like it's struggling when it has to deal with more than one thing at once (I've noticed my Itouch throws fits when I run some of the external apps (music can skip whilst playing !!).

On EDIT - My itouch, sexy scrolling in Safari "skips" (grey blocks before refresh) too if anything else is now running. The upgrade definitely did something to slow it down so there wasnt' a lot of free CPU.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
No doubt the 2.0 update has introduced some memory allocation issues. But the term multitasking doesn't really apply to the iPhone, with the exception of the iPod playing while doing other things. Theoretically, when you hit the home button, you close the current app.

Again, this is not to say that 2.0 is not apparently suffering from some memory leaks. But when you close Safari and open Mail, Safari is technically not running in the background. Same goes (and more stringently) for 3rd party App Store apps...they are expressly forbidden to run concurrently with other apps.

And just to be picky, because this is the Internet, there is no such thing as an iTouch.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
No doubt the 2.0 update has introduced some memory allocation issues. But the term multitasking doesn't really apply to the iPhone, with the exception of the iPod playing while doing other things. Theoretically, when you hit the home button, you close the current app.

Again, this is not to say that 2.0 is not apparently suffering from some memory leaks. But when you close Safari and open Mail, Safari is technically not running in the background. Same goes (and more stringently) for 3rd party App Store apps...they are expressly forbidden to run concurrently with other apps.

And just to be picky, because this is the Internet, there is no such thing as an iTouch.

All apps that come with the iPhone are kept running in the background.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

And there's ESPECIALLY not something called an "ITouch"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.