Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a week after the first iPhone 2.1 beta seed, Apple has released another 2.1 firmware release to developers. The new version appears to include several bug fixes.
"This is the second beta of the iPhone SDK targeting iPhone OS 2.1, including bug fixes to iPhone OS as well as an early implementation of the Apple Push Notification Service API. This API is not yet integrated with a live push server."
Apple has not announced a timeframe for the 2.1 release, but the "Push Notification Service" was promised by September.

Despite early hints of turn-by-turn GPS and Copy/Paste, further investigation indicates that these may not have been new findings in the 2.1 firmware (and had also existed in 2.0). References to a new iPod Touch model however suggests an iPod Touch hardware upgrade in the coming months.

Not all registered iPhone developers have access to the seeds, according to reports, the first seed was only available to iPhone developers who had been accepted into the program prior to July 11th (~4000 individuals).

Article Link

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Can we assume the Contacts screen freeze is among the bug fixes? And I wonder if the yellowish-vs-bluish screen temperature will be tweaked...

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I just want to know if this does anything with signal issues.

Today I went from full signal 3G to full signal GPRS back to full signal 3G in a matter of feet.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Wonder how I'll install it?

Since my iPhone now has only one simple function -- It displays an apple in the middle of the screen (despite repeated reset attempts), I wonder how I'll be able to upgrade to 2.1 when it comes?

Of course I'll probably have replaced my once-beloved iPhone (I've had it over a year), since I need a um... phone.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Despite early hints turn-by-turn GPS and Copy/Paste, further investigation indicates that these may not have been new findings in the 2.1 firmware. References to a new iPod Touch model however suggests an iPod Touch hardware upgrade in the coming months.

Is this saying turn-by-turn and Copy/paste is NOT in the 2.1 firmware or it is not NEW, meaning it's in previous version firmwares? Confusing. Also, does mentioning a possible new touch model related to the previous sentence about GPS/copy-paste? Is the comment insinuating that a new touch will have turn by turn and copy paste?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Is this saying turn-by-turn and Copy/paste is NOT in the 2.1 firmware or it is not NEW, meaning it's in previous version firmwares? Confusing. Also, does mentioning a possible new touch model related to the previous sentence about GPS/copy-paste? Is the comment insinuating that a new touch will have turn by turn and copy paste?

C'mon buddy... read what arn is saying.

"Despite early hints turn-by-turn GPS and Copy/Paste, further investigation indicates that these may not have been new findings in the 2.1 firmware."

Whatever references people found to copy/paste, or turnbyturn in the first beta of 2.1, were not new to 2.1 period.

"References to a new iPod Touch model however suggests an iPod Touch hardware upgrade in the coming months."

References to a new iPod model (iPod1,2) were found in the first beta of 2.1, and this just reiterates that finding.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
C'mon buddy...

C'mmon "buddy" stop being arn's night in shining armor and just read what I'm saying. 1) if copy/paste wasn't NEW to 2.1 then what was the first firmware it was found in? 2) why mention the new touch in the same paragraph segment as the copy/paste comment?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
The first beta didn't really fix the embarassing issues with 2.0 of the iPhone OS.

I hope this version does, but I am not optimistic.

Apple's days of quality are long gone, sadly. This is the last time I will be an early adopter of their products. I am tired of getting burned by Apple's horrific quality of late.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
App stability (to which the iPhone is responsible) & Safari stability are two issues I hope Apple keeps plugging into. I have been very impressed with 2.0's Safari stability as it seems like another step up from the previous versions

C'mmon "buddy" stop being arn's night in shining armor and just read what I'm saying. 1) if copy/paste wasn't NEW to 2.1 then what was the first firmware it was found in? 2) why mention the new touch in the same paragraph segment as the copy/paste comment?

yea I definitely follow you. I had to reread what he said too. But I'm pretty sure he just worded it poorly. I mean clearly we don't have copy/paste in 2.0... so... i think we can bet it's not in 2.1 period. it's not new to it, but it's not in it at all... haha.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

major issue is incompatibility with iPhone or touch for wifi app installation. Crash.... Fix this one please.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Various 3rd party app ui/bug fixes (Pandora, Facebook, MonkeyBall are back to normal compared to B1)

2 sec delay on contacts (seems less than before)

CiscoVPN still doesnt work with User+Group auth on v.8 pix (might be server config issue)

Feels like what 2.0 shouldve been, snappy, but uhh... thats just what a friend told me... ;)

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Has the draconian license changed? Last time, I read that it was incompatible with free software licenses and that people weren't allowed to talk about the SDK even after release (gag order). For example, if I want to make an iPhone developer forum, it would be illegal.

Here are my sources: http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/16/1435254 and http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/16/1435254 It's surprising that MacRumors.com has not reported anything about this controversial license agreement. I'm personally waiting to understand the truth better before buying an iPhone. I cetainly don't want to support such a fascist practices by Apple. My guess is that they just forgot to take out the NDA after they released the SDK.

Conner36

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2006
Has the draconian license changed? Last time, I read that it was incompatible with free software licenses and that people weren't allowed to talk about the SDK even after release (gag order). For example, if I want to make an iPhone developer forum, it would be illegal.

Here are my sources: http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/16/1435254 and http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/16/1435254 It's surprising that MacRumors.com has not reported anything about this controversial license agreement. I'm personally waiting to understand the truth better before buying an iPhone. I cetainly don't want to support such a fascist practices by Apple. My guess is that they just forgot to take out the NDA after they released the SDK.

Why would they take out the NDA if there still developing the SDK? It would harm more than it would hurt if a company developed based on information or code that was publicly released and then the next day find a new API or implementation that crashes the program. Or the book that is going to be released, it would be out dated even after a week of being out because of an update to the SDK.

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
i want "stability" more than any new featuers

i dont want "Auto-Quit" on my Safari

i dont want to wait 5+ sec to see my SMS or General Setting ....

i hate Firmware 2.0

iCheese

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
I have really bad lag in waiting for my SMS application to load, and my keyboard lags really bad most of the time when typing. I hope the new firmware fixes this stuff.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
So much DRAMA!

The first beta didn't really fix the embarassing issues with 2.0 of the iPhone OS.

Apple's days of quality are long gone, sadly. I am tired of getting burned by Apple's horrific quality of late.

GREAT! Get a Dell, an Instinct and liberate us from your whining and drama!

I am still enjoying Apple products, even with a few glitches here and there. I am enjoying my iPhone 3G from day one. Never froze. Some Apps crashed but nothing major. The App store is great, fantastic solution.

Contacts sometime gets laggy, for 3 or 5 seconds. I don't cry tears of blood because of that. I prefer to keep using my iPhone rather than experiencing disasters and real horrific quality like "web browsing" in a LG dare or an Instinct.

In the meantime Apple continues to improve and iron out the quirks of their revolutionary products. Bravo.

Gus

RobMack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
I must agree with the keyboard lag issue. Last night I needed to send an urgent reply to an email from my iPhone. In the end I had to give up as it was taking me so long just to type one word. Luckily I was close by a friends place so I was able to send an email from their PC. Not happy!

huskydsl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
kb lag

My keyboard lag issues are pretty much mitigated if I power cycle the phone once a day. I've gotten into the habit of just turning it off when I go to bed and powering up when i get up... unless i'm on call overnight.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sorry it wasn't clear.

The GPS directional stuff was in there before, from what I heard.

The Copy/Paste also wasn't particularly revealing. It looked like stuff that was in there before and/or was just from OS X Webkit and not specifically for the iPhone.

arn

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Why would they take out the NDA if there still developing the SDK? It would harm more than it would hurt if a company developed based on information or code that was publicly released and then the next day find a new API or implementation that crashes the program. Or the book that is going to be released, it would be out dated even after a week of being out because of an update to the SDK.

I'm not referring to 2.1 but to 2.0 which is an official public release. Not allowing developers to talk to each other and bring great new apps to the iPhone is ridiculous. It would be like having Microsoft's Visual Studio and then not allowing the creation of any forums, books, etc. because Microsoft said so. Development is a collaborative process and such a policy is fascist in nature and harmful to the consumer. My guess is that Apple just goofed and forgot to remove the NDA like they usually do once there is a public release.

BTW: Security through obscurity is generally a poor concept and is now looked at unfavorably.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Whoa! Just a second there! Before adding any new [rough draft] features, it might be a good idea to fix previous flaws FIRST !!!!

(also, when he says 'hints' of copy-paste and turn-by-turn are not new, I think he means the 'hints,' and not the fully-functional features. In other words, there were 'hints' in the 2.0 that such features might be added in the future or the distant future)

Can someone write an App that hits on chicks for me, so that my phone can do all the work? (including all that text message yakking)

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I hope it sorts out passwords, it won't hide the letter i typed until i type the next one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.