Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katiepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
the solution to solve this for me was incredibly simple, i was lagging during sms keyboard entries, and contacts scrolling, and other genreal animation lags, simply going into mail settings and turning off contact syncing solved this problem entirely, i just let itunes sync the contacts up, whilst this is technically subtracting a feature of the phone, 'over the air sync' its a temporary and good solution until apple fixes this obvious flaw. let me know if it fixes your lag!

crayonshin

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Japan
Do you mean from the phone or in iTunes? Because I can't find that setting on the phone. I didn't think the phone could sync anything "over the air"?

katiepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
phone

i mean on the phone, settings>mail, contacts, calendars>account@me.com>contacts=off, then in itunes, just select sync address book, its a manual sync, but it'll work until apple fixes things.

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
i mean on the phone, settings>mail, contacts, calendars>account@me.com>contacts=off, then in itunes, just select sync address book, its a manual sync, but it'll work until apple fixes things.

This is interesting, I tried MobileMe for bit and the one big problem I had with the web interface was that contacts would take forever load... sometimes not loading at all.

Looks like this has passed it's way down to syncing from the cloud.

crayonshin

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Japan

Must be a mobileme only option. I don't have it for my accounts. Bummer. Hopefully the next firmware will fix this.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
the solution to solve this for me was incredibly simple, i was lagging during sms keyboard entries, and contacts scrolling, and other genreal animation lags, simply going into mail settings and turning off contact syncing solved this problem entirely, i just let itunes sync the contacts up, whilst this is technically subtracting a feature of the phone, 'over the air sync' its a temporary and good solution until apple fixes this obvious flaw. let me know if it fixes your lag!
this defeats the purpose of MobileMe...I had the same problem with the first 3g Iphone I got, contacts loading was horrible (took close to 20 secs to start responding to scrolling)...went back and exchanged it for a new one, now contacts load without a problem...I chalked it up to having a defective fon, maybe you should exchange yours

GRN99EX

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
South Jersey

Tried what you suggested, and it deleted all of my contacts. THANKS! Just what I wanted to sit here and do, re-add all of my contacts.

katiepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
no it doesn't

it doesn't delete anything, it stopped syncing them, all you'd have to do is plug back into itunes and let itunes re-sync them, or just turn sync back on.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
First things first. Many many people who are experiencing the lag problems aren't even using MobileMe, so this fix doesn't 100% fix the issue. It's also not a handset fault, as I've had a few replacements for stuck/dead pixels, and they've all been the same.

Secondly...when you turn syncing off, it does warn you that it'll delete all contacts, and asks you to confirm. The contacts are only deleted from the handset though, and turning syncing back on should bring them all back down to the phone, or making sure your desktop client is synced with MobileMe, then connecting to your machine will allow you to sync back up locally.

ImARockStar

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Well what i do is anytime i get lag i go to camera and for some reason it goes away. But this is only with sms.

coloursinmyhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Well what i do is anytime i get lag i go to camera and for some reason it goes away. But this is only with sms.

Pathetic I know but I found a workaround from a YouTube commentor. The SMS lag seems to occur more often when you hit "reply" when you get an SMS popup from another screen.

At that point instead of hitting reply, hit the home button then the green SMS button and you should be lag free. (No need for camera mode in my case, just need to go back to home screen)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Pathetic I know but I found a workaround from a YouTube commentor. The SMS lag seems to occur more often when you hit "reply" when you get an SMS popup from another screen.

At that point instead of hitting reply, hit the home button then the green SMS button and you should be lag free. (No need for camera mode in my case, just need to go back to home screen)

You know, I was wondering about this method today. This seems to work for me...I was wondering why sometimes it lagged and other times it didn't, and it was because sometimes I didn't feel the vibe and went to unlock my screen and actually clicked on the SMS icon. Hmmm.....weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.