Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malakym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Scotland
Howdy.

I started thinking last night (Its rare, trust me) about the iPhone and upgrading to the 3G model.

My friend is going to be giving me his old iphone within the next couple of days as he upgrades.

I understand my part in this is to contact O2 and have my current contract converted to an iPhone compatible contract. Thats what the website says anyway.

If first gen iPhone owners are able to upgrade to the 3G model for free, would it mean that I am also able to this even though I'm only going to get it within the next couple of days and didn't buy the phone at launch?

Its a random question and O2 will probably hunt me down for even thinking it, but its worth a try.

Edit: I bought a second hand iPhone, but wasn't able to get the 3G model out of it. I kinda expected not to, but atleast it saved me having to get a new contract. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers :)

gkerr4

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
you can put any O2 sim card in and activate it while upgrading to firmware2.0 - you don't need an iphone specific contract. A £15 / month simplicity SIM would be fine and give you as many texts / minutes but without the data allowance - which you can 'bolt-on' if you find you need it. (i tend to find I onlyuse the data apps on wi-fi as the 1st gen iphone with edge / gprs has awful performance even with good edge reception.

your best bet is to hope that your friend hasn't upgraded to firmware 2.0 - cos if it is still on 1.1.4 or earlier then you can hack it using a number of tools which will allow you unlock it, activate it without itunes and jailbreak it so you can put other 3rd party apps on it - shame your mate by having MMS on your iphone for example.

This will also allow you to use the SIM from whatver provider you are currenly with in it with no changing contract at all.

I upgraded my hacked 1.1.4 iphone to 2.0 as I was already an o2 customer (still on £15 / month contract) - but to be honest it is awful and if it wasn't such a pain i'd regress to 1.1.4 and unlock it again

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Current iPhone subscribers don't get to upgrade to the new one for free - they are just allowed to upgrade early with no penalty. They end up paying exactly the same price as new customers for the iPhone 3G.

If you mean will O2 let you terminate your current (non-iPhone) contract early if you turn it into an iPhone contract then I doubt it - though I suppose it won't hurt to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.