Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I have a DVD player and Wii running into a component video switcher. The output is a 50' component to VGA cable into a projector. I recently ordered another shorter component/VGA cable with the idea that I could attach it to my MacBook, run the cable into my switcher, and then up to the projector without having to run a whole 'nuther 50' VGA to VGA cable. I just tried it and it didn't work. Does anyone know why this is? I thought it might work since I'm starting and ending with VGA.

(Enter helpful artwork)

Attachments

• component.jpg
    component.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 115

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was wondering about this too.

I think this is because a VGA-Component cable doesn't carry all the VGA signals that a computer needs. By the time it gets to the projector, it's missing some computer signals and thinks a component source is hooked up to it.

I have my Mini upstairs, but Plex is so awesome, I'm thinking of putting it with my home theater and putting my AppleTV back upstairs (it's only a 17" LCD).

Does anyone know if this works great?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-VGA2...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240587737&sr=8-2

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have a DVD player and Wii running into a component video switcher. The output is a 50' component to VGA cable into a projector. I recently ordered another shorter component/VGA cable with the idea that I could attach it to my MacBook, run the cable into my switcher, and then up to the projector without having to run a whole 'nuther 50' VGA to VGA cable. I just tried it and it didn't work. Does anyone know why this is? I thought it might work since I'm starting and ending with VGA.

(Enter helpful artwork)

You're missing the Sync signals that the computer outputs. A computer outputs essentially 5 signals RGBHV ( Red Green Blue Horizontal Vertical ). With component the sync is usually on the green line but when dealing with a VGA signal sync is separate.

This should work since the box will take the Horizontal and Vertical sync from the computer and convert it to one port on the Component side. But you will need a cable that has 4-wires to connect it to the Component switcher but if the Component switcher does not have sync capability or the ability to redirect the sync down green (essentially a dumb switch) then it won't work. You'll need this switch if you enlarge the picture you will see that it has and H port, that is the sync.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
^^^ Thanks. I got a fancy new NEC projector late last year and remember reading something like it'll take any signal and try to process it regardless.

Anywhoo....

Over lunch I bought something like that at Frys - I will take it home and see how well that works...

Nice to know... also nice to have a thread dedicated to HT so we can try all this stuff out.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I ended up buying another VGA-VGA cable for $20 on ebay, but now I know why it wouldn't work. Thanks for the answer.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Anywhoo....

Over lunch I bought something like that at Frys - I will take it home and see how well that works...

Well, I just hooked it up. There's a reason why it's only $60. It takes all the different computer resolutions and downscales it to 480i.

I thought it would do at least 720p as it does have component, but the box never mentioned the output, only an input resolution of up to 1600 x 1200.

It's going back.... :mad:

I may just have to one day run another VGA cable, as the the projector I have now has 2 VGA/Component inputs, and one is already used as the component input (from the original wiring).

For now, I guess I just have to use my AppleTV.

Ericjohn

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Macbook not fully displaying on video projector

I just bought an old used video projector and the adapter for my macbook to the VGA analog cord. The video projector only seems to read part of what is displayed on my macbook? Keynote will only display when I run slide show. My desktop image shows but no icons, internet browsers or DVD Player! What is going on?:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.