Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jouissance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
So I have a problem. I share a house with a couple friends and they have an airport network upstairs, which I have an airport express configured to participate in, though not in WDS mode. I have absolutely no problems connecting my macbook to the network through airport, but I have an old xp pc that I would also like to add.

It (PC) has an old wifi card, but I cannot get it to connect because it doesn't support WPA and we don't want to relegate the network to WEP, because, well, just because. So is it possible to connect my pc to my airport express via ethernet, and be able to gain glorious internet access? I have the pc plugged in to the express currently, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. Yes , no, maybe so?

Oh, and one another quicky...Is is possible to run different encryption settings from my express station than those used by the rest of the network, or do they have to be homogenized? For instance, while airport network is configured under WPA Personal, would it be possible for my airport express to run WEP and still be connected to the network?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
hmm..dont you have the express in front of you? If so, you would see there isnt an ethernet cord plug-in??

Maybe I misread your question. Express only contains usb plug and speaker out.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
hmm..dont you have the express in front of you? If so, you would see there isnt an ethernet cord plug-in??

Maybe I misread your question. Express only contains usb plug and speaker out.

maybe you don't have yours in front of you but, that plug that looks like a big phone plug next to the usb and speaker jacks on the express, it's an ethernet jack.

as to the OP, i believe if you set it up to extend the network via WDS, it will come out the ethernet jack, but you will have to get the roommates cooperation in setting up their airport to be extended.
but if it is set up to join, nothing will come out the ethernet jack. You know the one that iOrlando says doesn't exist, that's in the picture below

and if the express is connecting to the other network, it has to be on the same security settings unless you connect wired and start your own network.

airport_express.jpg

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
maybe you don't have yours in front of you but, that plug that looks like a big phone plug next to the usb and speaker jacks on the express, it's an ethernet jack.

That ethernet port is to plug in from your modem/router, bub.
Wireless routers only transmit, they still need a connection to the internet.
Gotta cool it on the attitude.

EDIT: Didn't fully understand OP at first. Thought APE was upstairs. I retract my statements.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
only had attitude in response to attitude.
my theory is if you're going to be a smart ass, be sure to have your facts straight first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.