Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Anyone else having this problem? Sometimes I'll get a text and it won't make the sound. What's up with that? The wierd thing is that it will work all day then start not making a sound. Anyway to fix this?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
join the club. (meaning, it happens to many People) i would think it's not a hardware issue, just a mere software problem that will most likely be fixed in later software versions, so dont worry:) do a simple restart/restore and that will usually work

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I have the same issue. Works all day and then all of a sudden stops. I just cycle the power and it works again. Doesn't do it every day though. I think that we forget it's a computer and occasionally needs a reboot.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
I had the problem you guys are describing AFTER I changed from the default sound. When I put it back to the default value I started getting alerts when SMS arrived.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Add another to the list. The same thing happens to me, but it's fine after I reboot the phone. It doesn't do it often though. Maybe once a day or every few days. We gotta remember it is a little computer so it does need to be rebooted every now and then.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Add another to the list. The same thing happens to me, but it's fine after I reboot the phone. It doesn't do it often though. Maybe once a day or every few days. We gotta remember it is a little computer so it does need to be rebooted every now and then.

Good point. My girlfriend's 3G loses SMS notification every week or so, but a simple reboot does the trick.

tatts187

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
7th Circle
Identical situ here as well. Tried restoring the phone thinking that might help but after the 2hrs to restore same issue still occurs. Boooooooooo!

seanwr

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
I get the same thing after 10-20 texts.

SMS stops making alerts.

Lock sounds stop working.

Etc.

Been happening since 2.0. Still happens on 2.0.2.

Very annoying. I use SMS as my primary means of communication.

cmstewart72

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Text message sounds/notifications not working

Hello all,
Please add me to this list. I too have noticed it happens after using headphones, but plugging them back in and removing them and restarting the iPhone doesn't work. Add me to this solutions list if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.