Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocbaud

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
2403935269_fe4bf623f7_o.jpg

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Wow just Wow what a collection some of you have, being in UK I can't get a Handgun (And I'm 16:(), But I can get a rifle/shotgun I was thinking of this:
121_elenco.jpg

AL 391 Urika - gauge 20 (Second on down) although there are others but I have no idea about guns I fired it once (Out hunting a mate had one which made me want, It's the old I see, I want LoL) and loved it:D So I'am going to buy it.

Can I ask what is it with most Handguns being black I've rarely seen a gold or silver one or are they just expensive:(.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Wow just Wow what a collection some of you have, being in UK I can't get a Handgun (And I'm 16:(), But I can get a rifle/shotgun I was thinking of this:
121_elenco.jpg

AL 391 Urika - gauge 20 (Second on down) although there are others but I have no idea about guns I fired it once (Out hunting a mate had one which made me want, It's the old I see, I want LoL) and loved it:D So I'am going to buy it.

Can I ask what is it with most Handguns being black I've rarely seen a gold or silver one or are they just expensive:(.

you don't see too many because gold and silver is tacky looking :p

not all guns are black however. you will see plenty of stainless finishes with the silvery metal appearance, or a nice dark blued finish.

how is this for ugly haha
190594010.jpg

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
You don't see too many because gold and silver is tacky looking :p
I didn't mean both together on the same gun that would be a mismatch at the very least.

not all guns are black however. you will see plenty of stainless finishes with the silvery metal appearance, or a nice dark blued finish.
Ah that's nice to know not all are Black I find Black boring personally.

Yhup very ugly purple LoL.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PS90 specifically. A semi-auto version with a longer barrel that anyone can buy.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
quick reply - thanks!

Sort of split on the issue of guns, half of me thinks "cool", the other half thinks "Christ, and normal people walk around with these things?"

Would really like to fire a pistol and rifle, models i at least have some awareness of - M16, AK 47, SA 80 etc, not likely to happen any time soon in the UK though:p

PS90 specifically. A semi-auto version with a longer barrel that anyone can buy .

When i read this i was of course interested in what rifle it was.

Glancing at my monitor and Re reading it just makes my mind boggle at what im reading.

"that anyone can buy"

:eek:

On a slightly oddnote, do you get a box for them when you buy something as big as that? :p

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
When i read this i was of course interested in what rifle it was.

Glancing at my monitor and Re reading it just makes my mind boggle at what im reading.

"that anyone can buy"

:eek:

On a slightly oddnote, do you get a box for them when you buy something as big as that? :p

A lot of guns when bought new come with a carrying case of some sort. I know Bushmaster ships their new rifles in a plastic hard sided case, and my pistols came in nice plastic carrying cases. My two shotguns just came in cardboard boxes.

Here is my new 12 gauge shotgun, a Mossberg 590A1

IMG_3421.jpg

Here is a view of the ghost ring sights. It isn't exactly what they look like with your eye, but it gives the basic idea. Usually the outer ring is more out of focus and just a thin line.

IMG_3425.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
One more photo of my Swiss K31. I took it out to the range yesterday and, despite my poor technique, managed to get 3.5" groups from an offhand position at 100 yards. I was impressed - using GP-11 surplus ammo this rifle shoots point-of-aim at 100 yards and with practice I'll bet I could shoot 1" groups from a bench at 100 yards.

Not bad for a surplus rifle made in 1935! When I have more time I'd like to do some competition shooting with his gun.

K31_G.jpg

No4mk2

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hell (New Jersey)
Cool

"I collect military rifles. Here's a few, top 1943 British Enfield No.4 Mk.1 in .303 caliber, Yugoslavian M48A Mauser in 7.92x57mm."

I'm a big "smelly" fan myself as you can see :)

Cool 2 Black Adder, I have the same Swiss model as you. Haven't shot it yet but the trigger is very fine for a military rifle. Barrel looks brand new, wonder why that is... :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Cool 2 Black Adder, I have the same Swiss model as you. Haven't shot it yet but the trigger is very fine for a military rifle. Barrel looks brand new, wonder why that is... :)

My K31's two-stage trigger has a very long initial pull, but I find it predictable, and comfortable to shoot. I'm not sure whether this rifle has the original barrel (it was arsenal refurbished at some point), but the bore is mirror-bright.

No4mk2

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hell (New Jersey)
My K31's two-stage trigger has a very long initial pull, but I find it predictable, and comfortable to shoot. I'm not sure whether this rifle has the original barrel (it was arsenal refurbished at some point), but the bore is mirror-bright.

Not sure if you know this or not, you could be a young person. The k31 is a Swiss WW2 rifle. The Swiss were neutral in the war so the rifles were used only for training. They are a bit banged up on the outside but practically brand new on the inside. I paid $250 for mine and I had my pick of 10. It was an excellent bargain and they will only go up in price.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The wood looks wonderful. Love the character of the stock on the left of the picture. That rifle has some history. So cool.

It's an issued WWII weapon, so the stock and buttplate are well-worn from use. I collect only military rifles and I don't do any "bubba" modifications to "improve" them, like sanding and refinishing the stock. I want to keep them just the way they are. The history is what makes them so special.

I have a 1943 Enfield No.4 Mk.1 rifle that still has a little dirt in the butt from when it was last used - I didn't even clean that out!

Not sure if you know this or not, you could be a young person. The k31 is a Swiss WW2 rifle. The Swiss were neutral in the war so the rifles were used only for training. They are a bit banged up on the outside but practically brand new on the inside. I paid $250 for mine and I had my pick of 10. It was an excellent bargain and they will only go up in price.

I picked mine up for $100, and it was an absolute steal. Unfortunately, mine didn't have a name tag under the buttplate like many do. But boy does it shoot straight...

All of the rifles made before the end of WWII were issued and mobilized, since half a million Swiss were under arm at the early stages of the war. So at some point in 1939, my K31 was in the hands of a Swiss soldier recently called up from civilian life, pointing towards Germany in expectation of an invasion that very nearly happened.

No4mk2

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hell (New Jersey)
It's an issued WWII weapon, so the stock and buttplate are well-worn from use. I collect only military rifles and I don't do any "bubba" modifications to "improve" them, like sanding and refinishing the stock. I want to keep them just the way they are. The history is what makes them so special.

I have a 1943 Enfield No.4 Mk.1 rifle that still has a little dirt in the butt from when it was last used - I didn't even clean that out!

I picked mine up for $100, and it was an absolute steal. Unfortunately, mine didn't have a name tag under the buttplate like many do. But boy does it shoot straight...

All of the rifles made before the end of WWII were issued and mobilized, since half a million Swiss were under arm at the early stages of the war. So at some point in 1939, my K31 was in the hands of a Swiss soldier recently called up from civilian life, pointing towards Germany in expectation of an invasion that very nearly happened.

Very true, though as far as I know they never saw combat. It doesn't make any difference to me. That they were in the hands of Swiss soldiers camped on cold snowy mountain sides, ready to be used in defense of home and country, not knowing what their fate might be, is good enough for me. They are surely amongst the most accurate and well made of the WW2 battle rifles and in the hands of the Swiss who've always had a reputation for being good soldiers and marksmen, the nazis were lucky that they didn't invade that fortress country. $100, wow. I haven't been able to find the name tag either.
My first rifle was No4mk2 that I got for 80 dollars. Even though I was new to shooting I could keep most of my shots on a paper plate at 100 yards. I now have 3 Lee Enfields, the number 4, an Australian never used, new-from-crate No.3, and a genuine English No.5 (jungle carbine). I've never fired the No.5 and I don't intend to, it's just too cool to risk the barrel exploding.

I blew my chance to get a decent Garand when I could have afforded one. My one gun collecting regret... :(

Yes, I absolutely agree with you, their history is the thing I'm most passionate about. Now if I could find a real Roman Gladius...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I find this thread to be a wee bit scary. However, I really really really want this.:D

Hell YEAH!

Makes those PC guys that wanna start an arguement that Mac's suck think TWICE! ;) :apple:

A few questions from a Canadian who's never fired a gun.

1> Which states allow you to own an automatic assualt rifle and a Glock 19?
2> Where in those States' major cities can one goto learn to fire and practice for accuracy!?
3> If you have Trigger Locks and cases; where is a safe place (considered by local authorities) to store the key's yet FAST enough for access should you/family be in mortal danger when you NEED it!!!

Thanks in advance. Now I know why the US is the "Home of the Brave".

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This is a bit long-winded, so apologies beforehand. I put a picture at the end to keep this on-topic!

1> Which states allow you to own an automatic assualt rifle and a Glock 19?

Most states allow the sale of legal automatic weapons. This could be anything from a .22 converted to full auto all the way up to a Browning M2HB .50BMG heavy machine gun. Any automatic that is legal for civilian purchase is called a "transferable" automatic. To buy, you need to go through a dealer with a Class 3 federal firearms license (FFL) who can transfer automatics. In addition to the purchase price of the gun, you need tp pay the dealer a transfer fee and a federal tax. After that, you need to go to your local sheriff, police chief or local FBI agent, fill out some paperwork and get fingerprinted. The paperwork details what guns you have and gives law enforcement the right to drop by at any time and check on your little arsenal. Then they do a background check and off you go.

Most automatics are very expensive. The cheapest are crappy machine pistols like the MAC series and DC9. Those usually run in the $4,000-$10,000 dollar range. A full auto AK47 will set you back a bit more, $12,000-$20,000+, and an HK MP5 or another quality submachine gun will run a few thousand more than that. M-16s and other common assault rifles are around there as well. More famous guns like the Thompson, BAR, M-14, MP40 and StG 44 all exceed $25,000-$50,000.

Topping the list are heavy machine guns like the Vickers, Maxim or German MG08 from WWI, and WWII weapons like the Browning 1919, MG42, MG38 and M2. Newer weapons like the M60 occasionally show up. These can run anywhere from $50,000 up into the stratosphere.

Rare and unique weapons occasionally surface and fetch astronomical prices. I once saw an StG 45 for sale, and one dealer was advertising a transferable M249 SAW, brand new in the box. It was probably the only civilian-legal example in the world. Both guns were going for well over $150,000

BTW, the Glock 19 is a regular old semi-auto. The Glock 18 is the select fire version and is VERY rare. If you could find a transferable one for sale I'd guess the asking price would be around $100,000. A "cheaper" alternative in a machine pistol would be the Berretta 93R.

This is very brief and skims over some points, but that's basically it.

2> Where in those States' major cities can one goto learn to fire and practice for accuracy!?

Most cities have indoor ranges suitable for handguns. A lot of these places also do safety training, hunter safety training and concealed carry training. Quality varies...some are very professional, others less so.

3> If you have Trigger Locks and cases; where is a safe place (considered by local authorities) to store the key's yet FAST enough for access should you/family be in mortal danger when you NEED it!!!

Good question. You can keep a loaded weapon handy in your house - that is legal. I don't keep any guns for self defense, so everything is locked up in safes.

It's up to the individual to decide where and how to store a weapon for defense - it could be sophisticated, such as a hidden compartment or safe with an electronic lock, or brutally simple, the classic revolver-under-the-pillow. Most people with a self defense weapon keep it loaded and do not lock it up, for ease of access in an emergency. The most common weapon for self-defense is the flexible and powerful 12 gauge shotgun. With the right buckshot it's highly lethal indoors but won't shoot though walls and injure people on the other side.

To make up for all the babbling, here's a pic of the Remington 1100 12 gauge semi-auto. Usually with a longer barrel for skeet, here I've got a 20" slug barrel on it, suitable for hunting deer, shooting targets or home defense.

IMG_8932.jpg

No4mk2

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hell (New Jersey)
Well...

Let's see if I can do this. I would have posted pictures earlier but I didn't have any that I had taken. These were taken with a free camera that came with a new G5 many years ago, the results are a little disappointing. But hey, at least they're pictures! And it only took me about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish and getting them here...
l-r, Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2, No.5 MkI, Australian No.3 Mk1
Enfields.jpg

Mauser World War I, and II-, Swiss K31, Japanese Arisaka
WWII.jpg

Colt H-Bar with Dissipator upper, Commercial Russian "Tiger" SVD, Springfield Armory M1A (loaded)
Winchester 1300... for HD.
Modern.jpg

No4mk2

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hell (New Jersey)
ijohnhenry,

Thanks for the tip. I'll leave it as it is though. They would have taken up a lot of space I think.

I finally read through all the posts and I want to apologize for my redundancies.

And to the other guy from Hell, NJ... See all the rifles you can have here if you have a Federal Firearms ID? That can take six months to a year to get. Just have no record and good people to vouch safe for you and they must, sooner or later grant you one. As a bonus it's also 5 points towards your Drivers license ID, well over half of what is needed. The one thing that might be questioned in my pics is the magazine capacity. NJ doesn't allow over 15 round mags. I have a couple of 10 round mags for these rifles but they don't look cool so I got disabled 20 and 30 rounders that can't hold more than 15. Then I did the State one better, I gutted them and threw away the parts so now they have zero capacity. I have them just for the authentically cool look. I do have some high cap mags though, they are with my brother in PA where America begins around here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.