Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hi, I bought at PwrMc G3 logicboard off of ebay as well as a case. i plan to build my own pwrmc g3 from parts as part of a school project. The powermac G3s use agp as graphics but the agp cards that i had did not fit at all. i tried a pci graphics card too. when i turn the computer on, it makes the start-up sound and sounds like it is booting but i do not see anything on the display. In a nutshell, the 'agp' port looks like a turned-around pci slot. any help will be much appreciated: thanks. :apple:

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
Are you talking about a blue & white G3? They don't use AGP -- they have a 66MHz PCI slot intended for the graphic card. It looks like AGP but it's not, so AGP cards won't work.

What cards are you trying exactly? Pretty much your only options are the PCI Radeon (original), PCI Radeon 7000, PCI Radeon 9200, or the original PCI Rage 128.

edit: You're not specific about what cards you're trying at all. The working cards I listed must all be Mac versions, or at least must be flashed to become Mac versions.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Are you talking about a blue & white G3? They don't use AGP -- they have a 66MHz PCI slot intended for the graphic card. It looks like AGP but it's not, so AGP cards won't work.

What cards are you trying exactly? Pretty much your only options are the PCI Radeon (original), PCI Radeon 7000, PCI Radeon 9200, or the original PCI Rage 128.

edit: You're not specific about what cards you're trying at all. The working cards I listed must all be Mac versions, or at least must be flashed to become Mac versions.

sorry about about my vagueness. im not sure if they are rage, radeon, etc. i just pulled them from some old PCs. theyre all pci. I suppose that i'll have to buy a mac graphic cards. Thanks for the response. PS: do you know if there is a hack to make pc cards work with a mac?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
To make PC video cards work in PPC Macs you must first flash the firmware on them with a Mac version. The Mac Elite's wiki page pretty much has all the information you need. You will probably have to flash the cards in an old PC you have using NVFlash/ATIFlash. Make sure you use the correct ROM for the card or you may make the card completely unusable.

The Mac Elite Wiki: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
It's a pretty safe bet that the PC cards you're trying aren't Radeon, Radeon 7000, Radeon 9200, or Rage 128's. Even if they were, it's still unlikely you'll be able to flash them. Not all cards flash and some use different ROM sizes.

Your best bet is to buy a cheap used or flashed card on Ebay that's already made to work on macs.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
It's a pretty safe bet that the PC cards you're trying aren't Radeon, Radeon 7000, Radeon 9200, or Rage 128's. Even if they were, it's still unlikely you'll be able to flash them. Not all cards flash and some use different ROM sizes.

Your best bet is to buy a cheap used or flashed card on Ebay that's already made to work on macs.

you're right. thats more than likley what i'll do. find something on ebay or just some peice of junk that give me an image. thanks again. I found a ATi Rage on the net for real cheap. can you tell me if it would work with my b&w pmac g3? thanks a bunch.
http://www.discountcomputerwarehouse.com/ati-rage-8mb-pci-video-card-p-3730.html

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California

AmBush1

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Rage 128 PCI Graphic Card

Is there any updates for this card(drivers). I've a G3 B/W Mini Tower 400mhz and when I watch videos it's real slow/choppy the sound is faster then the video and they don't even match when played.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.