Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dWeBB18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
around 1gb in or so, I can no longer copy music to my ipod hard drive. the ipod stops and freezes itunes. I was syncing it with itunes when my laptop froze, and ive had problem ever since. is there a work around for this? can the bad blocks be remapped? ive heard of such things and i dont know much about them. im in dire need of help because i cant listen to my ipod. i tried running the diagnostic but the classic doesnt have the read/write hard drive test! PLEASE help me asap.

dWeBB18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
That would require buying adapters and opening the ipod which I cannot do. I came across an app that can supposedly fix these errors called CopyTrans Doctor. It finds errors on my iPod but wont fix them unless I buy it. Anyone know a free program thats similar?

SilentGreg

macrumors member
If you have Apple Care, or if it's under warranty, it's time to take it in for an "exchange." Apple rarely (or never) repairs the iPod and usually just replaces the iPod with a refurbished one. I sent in my iPod nano (about a year ago) and I was sent a refurbished unit. My brother sent in his iPod classic (back in February) and they too sent a refurbished iPod classic. They both work great and our problems were solved! :)

dWeBB18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Yes, I still have my apple 1 year warranty. End in december. I think im going to give them a call today. How long did it take to recieve the new unit?

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
If you go in they hand you a new one right then and there if they can't fix it.

At least thats what they told me. I took my iPod in there, it's memory had locked up. The idiot at the genius bar started smacking it on his hand! I just smirked to myself as he did so. Then he handed it back and it worked!

That was 3 years ago. I still have it, with a broken screen (no backlight), torn up case, and a wheel the stops working every other day and i have to open it up myself to fix it. Haha.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I would definitely take it in to apple if it is under warranty. If it was out of warranty I might try to format it with Disk Utility, and then restore it. I think that used to work, and would probably map out the bad sectors...

stupertaco

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
I would definitely take it in to apple if it is under warranty. If it was out of warranty I might try to format it with Disk Utility, and then restore it. I think that used to work, and would probably map out the bad sectors...

I'm having the same issues with my 4th Gen 20GB, Disk Utility just gives me an error at the end unfortunately. If you get yours to work please let me know what you did!

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Im pretty sure I have done this with a 3rd Gen iPod, so maybe your hard drive is really dead.

I don't think I did anything special, except format it like any other drive...

TattedDawg

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
i have a ipod classic 80 GB that i got from a friend that he doesn't use anymore it will charge but will not sync at all he has over 1200 songs on it that he put on but i can't get it to sync it will come up saying network driver dectected but not able to sync at all anyone know what to do and am i able to send it in and get a new one???

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
i have a ipod classic 80 GB that i got from a friend that he doesn't use anymore it will charge but will not sync at all he has over 1200 songs on it that he put on but i can't get it to sync it will come up saying network driver dectected but not able to sync at all anyone know what to do and am i able to send it in and get a new one???

What computer does your friend have? If he was using a mac and the iPod was mac formatted and you tried to use it on a pc then it wouldn't sync. It would normally ask you to restore it though. I've never seen that network message when I've been using iPods :confused:

Also if you're wanting to get the 1200 songs off it then you can't do that through iTunes. Google around a bit and you'll find out how to get the songs off it, but since they're your friend's songs and not yours it is illegal.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I have a 5g 30gb that has a dying hdd, and it won't go through more than one pass of zeros in disk utility without locking up. I think its time for that one to go back to apple for a 10% discount off a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.