Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Everytime I log into my MBP it asks for a password to run smcfancontrol. How do i disable that from happening? I dont want to be asked for a password to install apps or run apps. Please HELP.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
i understand that but i want it to stop asking for one program. the smcfancontrol. before it never use to ask for a password to let it run so i need to know how to shut that off.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
smcfancontrol accesses sensitive files within the system. Apple security MUST ask before modifying these files. This is why it is hard to write viruses/worms/trojans for OS X.

TEG

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
smcfancontrol is a potentially dangerous app, so it always asks for a password. This is to prevent you from doing some serious damage to your hardware.

You don't really want to disable it, even if you think you do.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Uh, no. I have SMCfancontrol and it doesn't ask me every single time. Try reinstalling the app and see if that helps. And also, is it in your Applications folder already? Check the permissions and see whether you have read write access for it as well. A shot in the dark there but it may help :)

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I have SMCfancontrol run on my MacBook when I login to OS X and I never get asked for a password. This might be because I very often login with an account that has admin rights.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I have SMCfancontrol run on my MacBook when I login to OS X and I never get asked for a password. This might be because I very often login with an account that has admin rights.

Admin and root are different.

Also, you can try to repair permissions for the drive and then open the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.