Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
My iPhone usually charges without a problem from the keyboard USB port on the Al iMac keyboard.

But for some reason, if it's low on battery (e.g. the indicator is red), then it won't charge at all via the keyboard. It just stays on red (for hours) so not sure if it's getting some charge but not enough to recharge it properly. But then why would it work the rest of the time?

Anyone else have this problem?

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
that does sound odd. does the something happen when you plug it directly into the computer??

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
There isn't suppose to be enough power at the keyboard USB ports to charge iPods and iPhones.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My iPhone usually charges without a problem from the keyboard USB port on the Al iMac keyboard.

But for some reason, if it's low on battery (e.g. the indicator is red), then it won't charge at all via the keyboard. It just stays on red (for hours) so not sure if it's getting some charge but not enough to recharge it properly. But then why would it work the rest of the time?

Anyone else have this problem?

I have an iMac and a Mac Pro. Both of them are fully capable of charging my iPods and iPhones using the USB on the keyboard. I've been doing it for months.

Try plugging the keyboard into another USB port on the iMac. It's possible one has lower power output then the others.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
USB doesn't usually provide enough power to charge a really low iPhone battery. In these cases you have to use the wall charger.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
USB doesn't usually provide enough power to charge a really low iPhone battery. In these cases you have to use the wall charger.

I've let my iPhones shut off because the battery simply drained completely and then recharged them by plugging it into my aluminum keyboard this way. It should always work fine.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I read somewhere in the iPhone literature that you're not supposed to charge the thing using the USB on the keyboard. I suppose it's like what the others have said in this thread, that if the battery is very low there is not enough juice to charge it back up. I'm sure that many charge this way and it works fine, but this is what the manual says.

Mick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.