Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Today as I was about to install an app my iPhone froze so I figured I would just reset it using the hold button and the home button like I usually do and I didn't think much of it. I looked at it saw the silver Apple logo and placed it back down on my desk and continued to work on my iMac. After about 20 minutes I looked back down on it and saw that the silver start logo was still there. A little surprised I just reset it again and it happened again. This has continued to do so for the past few hours.

What should I do now? Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks for all of our help in advance!

PS: My iPhone isn't jail broken if that might have been an issue here.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Just connect it to the computer, iTunes should knock some sense into it.

TEG

Unfortunately, I also tried that solution it just stayed on the dock with the same silver logo on it. This is starting to get annoying. One thing I just noticed when the iPhone is plugged in iTunes beach balls and as soon as it is taken out it stops. The iPhone still will not turn on though.

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
Welcome to iPhone 2.0! I assume you haven't tried installing/updating apps from the iPhone very much. This is a known problem since firmware version 2.0 (maybe 2.0.2 that was released today will fix it).

To fix (you have to restore, it is the only way to get it back):
1. Hold the home and power button until your screen goes off.
2. Plug the iPhone into the iMac while holding down the home button until you see the icon telling you to connect to iTunes.
3. Your iPhone will show up in iTunes. From there click restore and when the restore process is done choose setup as new iPhone. Do not restore from backup.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Welcome to iPhone 2.0! I assume you haven't tried installing/updating apps from the iPhone very much. This is a known problem since firmware version 2.0 (maybe 2.0.2 that was released today will fix it).

To fix (you have to restore, it is the only way to get it back):
1. Hold the home and power button until your screen goes off.
2. Plug the iPhone into the iMac while holding down the home button until you see the icon telling you to connect to iTunes.
3. Your iPhone will show up in iTunes. From there click restore and when the restore process is done choose setup as new iPhone. Do not restore from backup.

Hehe thanks a bunch that worked. Actually I have installed a ton of apps, and got this iPhone and my previous 1st gen iPhone on the launch day. However, unlike a lot of people I haven't had any issues except for this that I've needed to troubleshoot with it I was unaware of this issue. Thanks for your help again! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.