Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marie123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I am so grateful for this forum! Last night I used Excel without a problem. This morning I was trying to make my dock be more helpful to me. I took the Excel application in the finder and tried to drag it to the dock. I guess I accidently dragged it to the main screen (the desktop screen that is blue), so I then dragged it to the dock. In the dock it shows the icon but when I try to open it I have a box that comes up saying: The application Excel quit unexpectedly

If I click report this is what I see:
Process: Microsoft Excel [390]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel
Identifier: com.microsoft.Excel
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: Unknown-80729~0
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [67]

Date/Time: 2008-08-19 11:24:30.806 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Netlib.framework/Versions/12/Netlib
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel
Reason: image not found

Did I accidently erase the program but leave the icon/shortcut? If I did how can I fix it? Everything else with office is working okay.

Thanks in advance!

Marie
The Worlds Worst Mac User

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
You said you accidentally dragged it to the desktop when aiming for the dock, so the app should still be on the desktop. You need to put it back where you got it from.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You need to drag the Excel on your Desktop (the actual program) back to where it was. It is trying to load a library from a filesystem location relative to where the program is and failing because you moved it.

Marie123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
If I open up the finder I do show it has Microsoft Excel listed. But I get that same message if I try to open it from the finder box too.

Marie
Worlds Worse Mac User

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If I open up the finder I do show it has Microsoft Excel listed. But I get that same message if I try to open it from the finder box too.

Marie
Worlds Worse Mac User

No. You said in your original message that you moved Excel to the desktop. Is it still there? If so you have to move it back into the applications folder.

Marie123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I moved the icon in the dock back to the finder. In the finder screen it shows the Excel listed in the Application section. There is no icon now on the desktop for Excel anymore.

Marie123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Okay, so it will give me the option to just install Excel? I was scared to put it in because I didn't want to make it worst.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
After you get it reinstalled (and you will! :) ) just wanted to throw a tip in concerning getting a ""docked" icon successfully and simply-- start up Excel, and while it is up and running, click and hold the temporary icon that appears in the dock when it is running. A list similar to the attached will appear- then just select "Keep in dock" from the list and it will remain in the dock after the program has been quit, the same as if you had dragged the application to the dock which is just an alternative method.

You can then drag that to wherever you want your icon to appear in your dock- as you drag it the other icons will step aside to make space for it wherever you want it!

Attachments

• keepindock.jpg
    keepindock.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,499

Marie123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Okay, I put the CD in and it went to install the whole thing. I didn't see an option to customize. It went through and when it got to the remove part it said that there were no other copies to remove which is odd since everything except Excel was working. So then it goes to check for updates and it says "You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update 12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

Being that I really need to get some work done today and not fight with my computer I tried to open Excel to see if I could use it and it gives me a long message, "There is a problem with Office Database........... and then it goes on to say "To rebuild open MS Office 2008/Office open Microsoft Database Utlity. So I did that and when it ran it found problems so I went to rebuild it. When I selected the one with todays date to use from now on it said it could not. I can actually open Excel and Word which I need for work but I am worried that later on these problems will surface at the worst time possible. I am not sure what else I can do to fix these problems.

One more problem.. I just got an email and the font is all odd. It almost looks like there are two letters on top of each other but slightly offset. I can't read what the email says at all.

Another problem.. the font issue seems to be with some webpages too. I went to some looking for help and it looks weird like letters are missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.