Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoAlex

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
I'm looking to dock my first-gen iPhone with its case on ... so instead of purchasing a slimmer case (ie. skin), I figure I'm better off getting a universal dock (my current iPhone/case combo will not fit the first-gen dock) as I'd rather not bother constantly taking off the bottom part of the case.

So are there any good and inexpensive universal docks available? Do they charge and sync - or only charge? I'm mainly interested in charging since this dock will be located at work.

Thanks for your help!

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
I'm looking to dock my first-gen iPhone with its case on ... so instead of purchasing a slimmer case (ie. skin), I figure I'm better off getting a universal dock (my current iPhone/case combo will not fit the first-gen dock) as I'd rather not bother constantly taking off the bottom part of the case.

So are there any good and inexpensive universal docks available? Do they charge and sync - or only charge? I'm mainly interested in charging since this dock will be located at work.

Thanks for your help!

I would go for the proper apple universal dock, it comes with a range of inserts and a remote control...charges, syncs and plays music via the line out, well worth the £20 or so it costs online.

Caleb Lyons

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
How is the Universal Dock working out for you? I have the Capsule Rebel case as well, and I'm on the fence about getting that one or the Griffin Simplifi.

My only concern is charging with the case on can hold in heat and mess with your battery life...

Dembo

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
London, UK / Frankfurt, Germany
Dock works exceptionally well with the iPhone in its Neo or Rebel case. Charging & syncing works well, so does communication with the remote. My iPhone is definitely not getting hot when charging so no issues there either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.