Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdb318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I bought an iphone off my buddy cause he got the 3G. I connected it to my computer and it doesnt show up in itunes. The camera is the only thing found. I tried all the steps apple says to do. restart. reset. reinstall. restore. and still the same thing. I really just wanna use this as an ipod cause i still have verizon. I was hoping someone on here could help me.

rc50won

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
If you could do a restore, theniTunes does see the phone. I am assuming that even after you restore iTunes asks you to Restore again. So it sort of sees it but won't let you get access to what's inside.

Here's the fix.
Disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
Close all running programs on the computer.
Create a new user with Admin privileges on the computer.
Log out of the original user.
Install iTunes on the new user.
Attached your iPhone.
iTunes should now see your phone.
Eject your iPhone from iTunes.
Close iTunes.
Log off the newly created user.
Launch iTunes.
Connect iPhone.
All should be well.

Marshall

I bought an iphone off my buddy cause he got the 3G. I connected it to my computer and it doesnt show up in itunes. The camera is the only thing found. I tried all the steps apple says to do. restart. reset. reinstall. restore. and still the same thing. I really just wanna use this as an ipod cause i still have verizon. I was hoping someone on here could help me.

sdb318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
my bad I didnt do a restore..I meant reset on the phone its self..but I will try that when I get home

melissarae

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
tampa, florida
i tried doing this, and my iphone showed up under another user on my imac... then i logged in to my user and it won't show up still :( my boyfriend's iphone shows up in my user, but not my iphone. my iphone will show up on his macbook. so that narrows it down to something is wrong with the itunes (which i've reinstalled already but still didn't work) on my user and my iphone.

why would it read his iphone and not mine? and read my iphone on another user and on another computer but not mine?! grrrrrr

sdb318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
If you could do a restore, theniTunes does see the phone. I am assuming that even after you restore iTunes asks you to Restore again. So it sort of sees it but won't let you get access to what's inside.

Here's the fix.
Disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
Close all running programs on the computer.
Create a new user with Admin privileges on the computer.
Log out of the original user.
Install iTunes on the new user.
Attached your iPhone.
iTunes should now see your phone.
Eject your iPhone from iTunes.
Close iTunes.
Log off the newly created user.
Launch iTunes.
Connect iPhone.
All should be well.

Marshall

yeah it still doesnt work...is there something wrong with me computer?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Use the following...building a new account does not help you get your stuff. This should get you up and running.

RESTORE IPHONE:
Step-by-Step

1) Close all programs and restart computer.
2) Open iTunes and plug in powered off iPhone with direct USB connection.
3) If iTunes fails to connect to iPhone...continue to #4, if it does...restore.
4) Shut DOWN iTunes again.
5) Power OFF the iPhone & Disconnect from computer. (Power off two ways-one will work, hold home and sleep button until off or just hold sleep button until off)
6) Hold down Home button & connect to computer using direct connected USB cable (keep holding down the home button until iTunes sees it).
7) It should go into recovery mode and iTunes should recognise it.
8) If you want to recover to previous software version, Hold Alt/Shift and click restore in iTunes. Then select the old update version.

DFU MODE:
Step-by-Step

1. Turn the iPhone ON
2. CONNECT it to the computer with a DIRECT USB connection.
3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode.
4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds.
5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button.
6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so.
The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER.
It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot
(hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.
7. Then restore the iphone

Good Luck

britz

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
iTunes Ringtones

I wanna make a ringtone on iTunes for my iPhone but the ringtone application wont come up on my iTunes which is the latest version someone please help me do i need to download a different version??:confused:

raskri

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008

I had the same problem, did something about the syncing in iTunes. Try:
In iTunes go to:Edit->Preferences->Syncing->Uncheck "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods" and click OK.
Disconnect the iPhone.
Connect...?

Or:

If you have Windows Vista try:
Go to the control panel-> "AutoPlay".
Find the heading "Devices". Your iPhone should be there.
Select "Take no action" from the drop down.
Click "Save"....

keejones

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
iphone 4 & itunes

here is my problem, can you help?

when I plug my iphone 4 into my mac laptop, the music on my iphone does show up, but it's light gray, meaning, I can't click on any of it to play it or move it. also, not all the songs I have purchased via my iphone show up under purchased, but they are under Music.

I really want to move the songs from my iphone to my laptop

can I?

I also cannot move songs from my computer music library to the phone (whether I purchased them or not...)

deshdipak

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
my iphone4 is not showing on my itunes..

first of all i should sat tat my iphone's home button is mostly unresponsive so i use other assces way...secondly i have tried all tat u have said..abt having a new user in the laptop..in tat condition none of the itunes r showing my iphone,,,,bt i must say if i plug my iphone it is showing the bolt sign...the scond way i have done the home button with the sleep button tat stuff but its not working too..may be due the unresponsiveness of the home button..thirldy i have tried installing new itunes also the i have tried the older version..nothing man...i opend the edit n tat prefference stuff.bt there is nothing tat tshowing the sync option..if i open the device manager of my computer there is nothing realted to my iphone...:(..i dont knw wat to do bro...plz help me out

Use the following...building a new account does not help you get your stuff. This should get you up and running.

RESTORE IPHONE:
Step-by-Step

1) Close all programs and restart computer.
2) Open iTunes and plug in powered off iPhone with direct USB connection.
3) If iTunes fails to connect to iPhone...continue to #4, if it does...restore.
4) Shut DOWN iTunes again.
5) Power OFF the iPhone & Disconnect from computer. (Power off two ways-one will work, hold home and sleep button until off or just hold sleep button until off)
6) Hold down Home button & connect to computer using direct connected USB cable (keep holding down the home button until iTunes sees it).
7) It should go into recovery mode and iTunes should recognise it.
8) If you want to recover to previous software version, Hold Alt/Shift and click restore in iTunes. Then select the old update version.

DFU MODE:
Step-by-Step

1. Turn the iPhone ON
2. CONNECT it to the computer with a DIRECT USB connection.
3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode.
4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds.
5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button.
6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so.
The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER.
It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot
(hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.
7. Then restore the iphone

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.