Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
ok, i know it's 17" with a Hi-res screen 2.4ghz serial number 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

(2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -- 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB -- BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS-B --- MacBook Pro 17-in Hi-Res WideS --)

I dropped it, cracked the screen, killed the superdrive and also the top case is a bit worse for wear. (oh and i dropped water on the keyboard yesterday now that doesn't work either!!

It's waaaay out of getting supercared, they'd just laugh at me so i'm looking at going the DIY route! (or at least buying OEM parts and having someone fit them)

so......

I need to know which keyboard, screen and top case i need? I managed to get a new superdrive for $50 so I'm happy with that but there seems to be so much confusion as to which model is which as far as screens/keyboards.

If some one could help i'd really appreciate it!

Andy

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
ok, i know it's 17" with a Hi-res screen 2.4ghz serial number 'xxxxxxxxxx'

I dropped it, cracked the screen, killed the superdrive and also the top case is a bit worse for wear. (oh and i dropped water on the keyboard yesterday now that doesn't work either!!

It's waaaay out of getting supercared, they'd just laugh at me so i'm looking at going the DIY route! (or at least buying OEM parts and having someone fit them)

so......

I need to know which keyboard, screen and top case i need? I managed to get a new superdrive for $50 so I'm happy with that but there seems to be so much confusion as to which model is which as far as screens/keyboards.

Andy

These guys sell a ton of different screens that might work. Maybe e-mail or call them?

http://www.blisscomputers.net/servlet/StoreFront

Cheers,

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's waaaay out of getting supercared, they'd just laugh at me so i'm looking at going the DIY route!

I'm not sure what you mean by "supercared" but your MBP is still covered by AppleCare until 2010, although AppleCare doesn't cover physical damage. Where are you getting keyboards/screens? If you call Apple with your serial number, they can tell you what parts you need for your model.

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
You may want to search for parts on eBay to save you some cash. Also, ifixit.com do sell OEM parts, however they do not come cheap. Good luck man.

droow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean by "supercared" but your MBP is still covered by AppleCare until 2010, although AppleCare doesn't cover physical damage. Where are you getting keyboards/screens? If you call Apple with your serial number, they can tell you what parts you need for your model.

I don't know why i've not done that already to be honest. I guess I just thought they'd tell me to take a running jump as it's not covered for physical damage, stupid really. I'll call them first thing.

I'm hoping to be able to get most of the parts off ebay too so i thought they might be reluctant to tell me - we'll see.

Thanks

Andy

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
ok, i know it's 17" with a Hi-res screen 2.4ghz serial number 'xxxxxxxxxxx'

so......

Andy

Download MacTracker as you will be able to identify which model you have.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10816

Remove your SN

I agree with alphaod. Don't put specifics like serial numbers in your posts.

droow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
why no serial number?? oh well my bad i guess??

well as i thought...

Apple no help whatsoever. they won't give out any parts details, just say take it in and they'll look at it and tell me what it'll cost to fix.

:(

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
why no serial number?? oh well my bad i guess??

well as i thought...

Apple no help whatsoever. they won't give out any parts details, just say take it in and they'll look at it and tell me what it'll cost to fix.

:(

Turn the system over to the back, look at the top near the hinge you should be able to see some text printed there.
There should be a section which says "Model Number Axxxx" from this you can find what the system spec is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.