Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Aimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Just want to know the proper type to replace it with.
Is there a size (gigabyte, not physical!) limit I need to be concerned with?
Any suggestions??

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
Any standard ide drive should work. I think the early quicksilvers are limited to 128gb with the onboard controller, while the 2002 models and later are not. If you connect it through a controller card, the limit doesn't apply. You might want to look into a sata controller card and a sata drive, so you'll be able to migrate the drive to your next computer (all new machines use sata).

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Having owned several QS's, I can confirm that the 1st model is indeed limited to 128GB, when connected to the mobo controller. But the 2002 model is not.....

However, as gonyr said, you should be moving to SATA nowadays. Not only will it provide a path for moving your HD to a newer machine later on, it will make your current machine a good bit faster now.....

I'm using a SIIG 4port SATA card + 2 Raptors in my current QS, and it runs like a champ :)

Mike Aimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for the advice folks!

My QS is a 2001, so the 120 gig limit does apply to me.

I'd like to go with the SATA idea, but I don't have an open PCI slot. I'd have to lose something. Maybe I could live without the ethernet card as I have recently put airport in.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Mike I was just talking to a friend who I had convinced to buy two 120 gig hard drives new with warranty pretty cheap for his G4. but now he has a laptop.

He wants to sell them, if you need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.