Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
So far i have used handbrake and its pretty good for me right now.
THe program enables me to convert the dvd into anything i want, a mp4 or a avi. or even into a certain format like ipod or psp or some other format. i found this quite usefull

although i wonder what you other people use. as far as i know handbrake is what my friends recommended to me so i decided to use that. tho it takes me an hour to rip a dvd movei thats 1 1/2 hours. but i think its because of my drive. its a combo drive anyways (lol i know it sucks)

just trying to see if any1 has a better recommended dvd ripping program

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So far i have used handbrake and its pretty good for me right now.
THe program enables me to convert the dvd into anything i want, a mp4 or a avi. or even into a certain format like ipod or psp or some other format. i found this quite usefull

although i wonder what you other people use. as far as i know handbrake is what my friends recommended to me so i decided to use that. tho it takes me an hour to rip a dvd movei thats 1 1/2 hours. but i think its because of my drive. its a combo drive anyways (lol i know it sucks)

just trying to see if any1 has a better recommended dvd ripping program

why would a combo drive suck? handbrake is very cpu based so the "slowness" is more likely you having a slower computer than having a combo drive

with that said if you want an exact copy of the dvd with no loss of quality and all the menues, use mactheripper. however, with it, each movie takes like 7gigs of space

you could then handbrake the file that mtr gives you. handbrake is a program that doesnt rip the movie, instead it encodes the dvd as a file. sorry if that is confusing

in other words, using mtr is like importing your cds using lossless format (wont lose quality) handbrake will give you a lossy file (such as mp4, avi, etc)

hope that sorta makes sense even though the analogy may be bad

i personally use mtr and handbrake in compliment with each other as opposed to using them seperately

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
ok thanks i will take a look in MacTheRipper
the process of handbrake is probably slow cuz its encoding the dvd into a file
ripping the dvd directly then encoding sounds better
thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Handbrake actually converts the DVD to a compressed video format.

Keep in mind the MacTheRipper only rips the raw data.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
ok thanks i will take a look in MacTheRipper
the process of handbrake is probably slow cuz its encoding the dvd into a file
ripping the dvd directly then encoding sounds better
thanks

i bet it will still encode at around the same framerate... its CPU based so thats not really going to help you..

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
alright so i found MTR 2.6.6 and now i hear theres this MTR 3.0 where can i get the MTR3? its not on the website and i also hear that it crashes often on Leopard so helps and tips any1?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
alright so i found MTR 2.6.6 and now i hear theres this MTR 3.0 where can i get the MTR3? its not on the website and i also hear that it crashes often on Leopard so helps and tips any1?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

MTR3.0 is very hard to get, however it can be gotten (PM me).

it is MOST CERTRAINLY does not crash. it is extremely stable!!!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire

Well up until recently you could get the current verison of MTR 3 (r14m) by joining the MTR forum at http://www.ripdifferent.com and explicity following the sticky notes within. However- ripdifferent.com has been recently totally redesigned and at this point in time there are NO forums on it.... don't know at all what is going on with that and cannot offer any other sources for it at that was the only supported place to acquire it. :(:(

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
alright thanks
so 3.0 r14i is the lastest one?

No, there are several versions beyond the one in those torrent links posted in the above referenced Rapid Library.

The current official supported version is r14m (although with the current state of ripdifferent.com I hesitate to say 'supported' right now).

Oct 31, 2005
I have been using MacTheRipper and handbrake for a while now, they work fine. Right now I am using DVDRemaster and Fairmount. I have been getting FAR superior quality encodes, with a smaller file size! Does take a bit longer to encode, but thats fine with the quality I am getting. Wish they had a batch/queue setting.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I have been using MacTheRipper and handbrake for a while now, they work fine. Right now I am using DVDRemaster and Fairmount. I have been getting FAR superior quality encodes, with a smaller file size! Does take a bit longer to encode, but thats fine with the quality I am getting. Wish they had a batch/queue setting.

was going to consider getting that encoding software until you said they dont have encoding....

Oct 31, 2005
was going to consider getting that encoding software until you said they dont have encoding....

Do you mean batch encoding?

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience. The file size is about 30-70 mb less than the handbrake encode.

3000 kbps Apple TV settings. Single Pass
Handbrake
Picture2-2.png

DVDRemaster
Picture1-2.png

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience.

well when your trying to encode a good 500 tv episodes from DVD rips (on my HD) as quick as possible it would kind of make it hard in my situation.

Oct 31, 2005
well when your trying to encode a good 500 tv episodes from DVD rips (on my HD) as quick as possible it would kind of make it hard in my situation.

Yea I see your point, try emailing the developer and maybe they will add it in a future version.

Have you ever had a problem with handbrake crashing? I'll set up some 50 encodes, and the 51st one I try to add to the queue it crashes, and I have to start all over again. Annoying, but still an excellent program.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yea I see your point, try emailing the developer and maybe they will add it in a future version.

Have you ever had a problem with handbrake crashing? I'll set up some 50 encodes, and the 51st one I try to add to the queue it crashes, and I have to start all over again. Annoying, but still an excellent program.

never had it crash, i normally queue 1 dvd at a time... i didnt know you could queue multiple DVD's (always wondered, never tried).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience. The file size is about 30-70 mb less than the handbrake encode.

3000 kbps Apple TV settings. Single Pass
Handbrake
Picture2-2.png

DVDRemaster
Picture1-2.png

would you be able to SS me some of those but have the SS taken at the same time?? (QT would do it for ya)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.