Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjjjyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I would like to use my new MacBook to record college lectures. Any recommendations on how to do this. Quality doesn't have to be fabulous. So far the best I have come up with is a USB mic (any recommendations?) and record to QuickTime Pro. Is USB the best way to go rather than the sound input port? And will using the USB mic and QuickTime really drag down the battery? As you can tell, I am kind of floundering here - any help very much appreciated.
VJY

MicahFreak82

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
When i record lectures i usually use microsoft word notebook. the notebook is a really easy to take notes for lectures and has a record feature built into it. i like to sit closer to the front of class and just use the internal mic. it works fine. the battery usually holds out about 2 hours of continual recording. it is probably longer than that i just never had to go that long. oh i forgot to mention that i have microsoft 04 so it may have changed since then. well hope that it helps

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
When i record lectures i usually use microsoft word notebook. the notebook is a really easy to take notes for lectures and has a record feature built into it. i like to sit closer to the front of class and just use the internal mic. it works fine. the battery usually holds out about 2 hours of continual recording. it is probably longer than that i just never had to go that long. oh i forgot to mention that i have microsoft 04 so it may have changed since then. well hope that it helps

Use "BoomRecorder" (separate vendor) then convert the files to .mp3 using iTunes. .WAV is what Word uses and the files are HUGE. Mp3's are less than a quarter of the size. I'm a veteran at recording lectures, been doing it for 3 years using my iBook G4.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I use Boom record, it's the best I've found and defiantly recommend converting the files to .mp3.

MicahFreak82

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
i still stick by word because it pairs the audio with the lecture notes that you are taking. also it remembers exactly where you were typing at the time it was recording it. who cares if it is maybe 10mb's it is worth it.

vjjjyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Thank you for the suggestions - will check them out. Nobody has used Quicktime?

MOTU

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I never saw te point in recording lectures. If you're planning on going to class anyway, why not just pay attention during class and not waste another hour or more listneing to the lecture again?

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
I never saw te point in recording lectures. If you're planning on going to class anyway, why not just pay attention during class and not waste another hour or more listneing to the lecture again?

There are any number of reasons to do it. Some professors speak to quickly to take good notes. Sometimes, when you're paying $150+ per session of a class you want to get every last drop out of it. I record lectures so that I can use them as references further down the road. It makes it much easier to cite a professor on something if you have a recorded copy of the lecture you heard it in.

vjjjyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008

And some people are disabled and can use the extra help remembering.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
And some people are disabled and can use the extra help remembering.

Yup, take notes as best you can, and the recording of lectures, as a back-up. Been doing it this way for several years, also turn you iPod into a recorder and transfer it to your iPhone via iTunes and your MB. Lectures on the go! Also, depending on your college or university, you might have lectures available on podcast and webcast via iTunes and MB. Who goes to every class? (I think just the "dorks & nerds" at least that's what I've heard!) LOL :D

Gazeeb

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Does anyone know how to use audio notes in Word so that it transcribes what is being said by the professor? If not, is there a program that does this that works well?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
QuickTime Pro works well and records to rather small file sizes (AAC movies). The built in mic is pretty high quality, so if you're looking for an external mic make sure you're getting a good one or you might be downgrading.

Some schools I think will even record for you if you have a registered disability. You can also buy a digital recorder to then later transfer the files to your Mac, or if you have an iPod, you can get one of those reorder add ons.

Here is one I know of (can't give a personal review, but people seem to like it):

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-TuneTalk-Stereo-iPod-Black/dp/B000F9LRYO

DangerMouse6

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
What about cutting the lecture up into say...4 tracks. So that if you want to listen to a particular sub topic on your iPod you don't have to go through the entire lecture. Do any of the above suggested programs allow this type of editing? When I say tracks I guess I mean 4 seperate song files.

Thanks

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Does anyone know how to use audio notes in Word so that it transcribes what is being said by the professor? If not, is there a program that does this that works well?

speech-to-text programs need to be trained to specific voices. It would certainly be nice if it could do it,but it's not that dependable, especially with different voices. You can do your own voice, but still need to edit.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I really like Circus Ponies' Notebook software. Great for notetaking, builds an index for you, and has a built-in voice recorder that ties the recordings to your notes in the right place. Just now looking for a good external mic to use too so I don't record all my key clicking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.