Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Hi,

My hard drive crashed again the other day, and I didn't sweat since I had a partial time machine backup that saved all my User files and Library files. Problem is, when I restored my files, I am having permissions errors with EVERYTHING. I have thousands of songs, and I want to give myself all the permissions so I can edit the ID tags and buy more songs. How do I do this all in one sweep?

Thanks.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Hi,

My hard drive crashed again the other day, and I didn't sweat since I had a partial time machine backup that saved all my User files and Library files. Problem is, when I restored my files, I am having permissions errors with EVERYTHING. I have thousands of songs, and I want to give myself all the permissions so I can edit the ID tags and buy more songs. How do I do this all in one sweep?

Thanks.

Did you restore the whole OS?Or just some files?Have you tried repairing permissions?

mrrish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
thx

Only some files. The permissions of all the files are "_unknown" and they have read and write access. I did try to repair permissions but that didn't do anything.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Why did you restored your files?I mean when you said it crashed you mean you lost everything?

You have tried changing permissions with Disk Utility correct?

Mimiselphani

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Possible Solution

Hello

I don't know if you have sorted your problem yet, but I had exactly the same problem and have managed to fix it with just two commands.
The problem is with the ownership of the files.
Here is what I did:

1. Open the terminal
2. Typed the following:
Code:
cd ~
sudo chown -R {my username}:staff *
I entered my password and off it went, recursively sorting my problem. So just replace {my username} with your short username (the one used as the name of your home folder) and that should sort the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.