Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jettpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
The first week I had my Macbook Pro I noticed about 5 or 6 little grey splotches on the right hand edge of the screen. About a month later tons of them had formed on the top edge in a cluster. I didn't take my computer in because it wasn't that noticable, only at an angle. Well it's been 9 months, and there's now spots on the left hand side, and it's spreading. A week ago they started to appear on the bottom on the screen, and all the spots on all the other edges are forming rings around them.

I took it to my tech at our school since they sold us the laptops, and he said the spots were too small for water damage, and that he's never seen anything like it before. So I took it into the apple store THINKING they would replace it, instead they told me it had to be water damage and that was that. I've never spilled anything on this computer, and the spots started the week I got it. No matter how many times i explained the situation to those people, they just kept repeating "I'm not saying that you're lying, but we dont know what was actually done to the computer, we say it's water damage, which isn't covered" and refused to fix it.

Its just a bunch of little grey dots clustered together, some are a little spread out but as the weeks go by it just gets worse.

I'm not really sure what else to do at this point, the apple store obviously wasnt a big help. And I still have no idea what it is, i just know that this computer is extremely important to my schooling, it doesn't get banged around, i dont even eat around it. Has anyone seen anything like this?

theprizefight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
no idea, but id ask for a manger at the apple store and keep insisting that it is definitely not water damage. try more than one store if you have to.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Do they turn white from other angles? There are a couple spots around the middle of my display like that, but I'm not too worried about them since I'm replacing this notebook.

Sucks about the "water damage", that seems to be the way out of a lot of things.

Wish I could help. You could always replace the screen yourself, or have that done, but you might want to wait until your warranty is completely up.

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Do they turn white from other angles? There are a couple spots around the middle of my display like that, but I'm not too worried about them since I'm replacing this notebook.

Sucks about the "water damage", that seems to be the way out of a lot of things.

Wish I could help. You could always replace the screen yourself, or have that done, but you might want to wait until your warranty is completely up.

How big are your screen spots? I think I may have something similar.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Call it in and send it back in the box they send. This water damage excuse seems to be a standard answer for anything the store folks haven't seen.

If these areas look like they were caused by too much pressure on the case (wedged in a bookbag with too many books) even the repair depot might question it, but we've found they are much more relaxed about what is covered and just repairing the machine.

Cheers,

blaklaybul

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
I had a bunch of those gray spots on the lower right of my MBP screen that progressively spread and got grayer. I took my computer to the Apple store in Soho, where they tried to tell me that the spots were caused by mistreating the computer. However, my MBP is barely even a year old and I treat it with the utmost care and have never caused any damage to it. I asked for a managerial opinion. THe manager said they would replace the top-half of the clamshell and that it would be ready in 2-5 days. That was almost 2 weeks ago...They said that the part is backordered. They assure me that I will have it on sunday.

Jettpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I did speak with a manager at the store, mainly because the first guy just kept giving me that blank annoying stare. Turns out he's a Full Sail student and he informed me that our computers, even though we paid full price at registration, are refurbished. And he said even if I didn't cause the damage and it was there when I got it, since it was refurbished it's not covered under applecare. Which seems like bull, i didn't cause it, so why should I pay out of pocket to fix it?

Yes if I look at the screen from a different angle the spots are white.

Jettpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
if it is water damage, it must have happend before it landed in my hands.

If my school tech still can't do anything about it I think I might just go to our school president, he's a pretty nice guy and will more then likely just give me a new computer. I'd just really like to know what it is.

I read something somewhere else about someone having grey spots around the edges like mine, and that it was caused from heat damager. When the screen is shut their computer will wake up from sleep mode and get really hot since it's running (mine does that as well, all the time, almost too hot to touch sometimes ) when I mentioned it to the apple people, they made the heat seem like it was no big deal, and then said that heat damage to the screen was impossible. But I have read a lot about the liquid crystals melting if introduced to high temps.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
All refurbished products get one year of AppleCare, and can be upgraded just like new ones. If you got another one around you, go there otherwise go back with printed documentation on how it could have been caused by heat and throw a fit. While unprofessional, it's better than paying for a new screen.

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
I did speak with a manager at the store, mainly because the first guy just kept giving me that blank annoying stare. Turns out he's a Full Sail student and he informed me that our computers, even though we paid full price at registration, are refurbished. And he said even if I didn't cause the damage and it was there when I got it, since it was refurbished it's not covered under applecare. Which seems like bull, i didn't cause it, so why should I pay out of pocket to fix it?

Yes if I look at the screen from a different angle the spots are white.

How big are the screen spots? Each bigger than a pixel size?

Jettpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
How big are the screen spots? Each bigger than a pixel size?

Yeah most of them are, the newest spots are itty bitty but some have already grown. None of the spots are larger then a cm. It's not a pixel problem for sure, it's under the screen, like, in the back i can't really explain it.

nayf72

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah most of them are, the newest spots are itty bitty but some have already grown. None of the spots are larger then a cm. It's not a pixel problem for sure, it's under the screen, like, in the back i can't really explain it.

Are they still visible when the screen is off and say you shine a light/torch directly at the screen?!

Maybe your problem is different to mine. Its weird that I can visibly see white dots when the screen is off with the aid of light - its like there is something under the screen!!! Maybe mine is just a dust issue.

Jettpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Are they still visible when the screen is off and say you shine a light/torch directly at the screen?!

Maybe your problem is different to mine. Its weird that I can visibly see white dots when the screen is off with the aid of light - its like there is something under the screen!!! Maybe mine is just a dust issue.

if the computer is off and I shine a light at an angle, I can see the spots but they're white, they're only grey when the computer is on. It def. looks like something is under the screen.

ejmacleod

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
White Macbook

heyy everyone, :D
i am experiencing the exact same problem, see they started to appear on my 3 month old white macbook next to the trackpad and some on the front. i took it into the apple store too, and they where completely NO help what so ever.
i put nail varnish remover as my sister suggested that it does remove everything, as no apple cleaning products where removing them, but the varnish has removed them, but made the plastic dirty and smells of burning plastic, it has also worn away to make it very very smooth and now i am worrying, anyone got advice? :(
the replacement for the bit of plastic is lots of money! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.