Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I am seriously considering selling my iphone on ebay if this update does not fix the OS overall stability and sms lag. This has gone on too long now. I miss the 1.1.X days.:(

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Stereo Bluetooth!

Oh dear, I think you're missing the point:- Steve and Apple have decreed that henceforward Bluetooth is now deprecated, just like MMS and vCards, and we have to email all comms between the iPhone and headsets, car systems and other phones with legacy Bluetooth functionality. HTH:D

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The feature I am looking for is a miniaturized super collider so that I may conduct scientific experients testing the big bang theory on my iphone.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I miss the 1.1.X days.:(
Who doesn't? Everything went down the drain after the release of the 1st gen iPhone.

Tiger was good. Leopard would have been good, but then suddenly a lot of team members were reallocated to work on the iPhone. iPhone 1.X was good, but when Leopard came out after being delayed for several months, it was a train wreck. Then they fixed some of the worst stuff, but it's still quite buggy. Then firmware 2.0 came out, also a train wreck. I hope for Apple's sake that 2.1 is a rock solid release and that the dip in quality will end there... but something tells me that this trend will continue. :mad:

pw030180

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
The moaning of the anorak so called Apple "users" is pathetic. If it wasn't for the genius behind the designers and technology masterminds at Apple we would never have had an iphone/ipod touch etc....

Some people complain just for the sake of it. If there was no iphone one would be using the "next" best thing eg samsung or LG.

I find it pathetic that some people can be so fickle and pedantic. Copy/Paste/MMS get a grip. If you don't like it sell it. But stop the moaning.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I'd like to see a new app by Apple in the new firmware. No idea what, but some new functionality I'd never even thought of!

Obviously this won't happen, but I can dream...

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
my wishlist for an update would be stereo Bluetooth,mms,voice commands, widescreen keyboard, video recording and push. Maybe we will at least get one of these things........maybe

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
The moaning of the anorak so called Apple "users" is pathetic. If it wasn't for the genius behind the designers and technology masterminds at Apple we would never have had an iphone/ipod touch etc....

Some people complain just for the sake of it. If there was no iphone one would be using the "next" best thing eg samsung or LG.

I find it pathetic that some people can be so fickle and pedantic. Copy/Paste/MMS get a grip. If you don't like it sell it. But stop the moaning.

You're kidding right? Copy/Paste is pretty basic, loads of people want MMS (not me, but there you go) and the BT functionality, well, there's hardly any and what there is doesn't work properly despite the fact it did in 1.1.2-1.1.4.

Even allowing for "you knew the feature set before you bought" the s/w as it stands is buggy as hell and hasn't been fixed in the two "service" releases.

Apple, no matter how much of a fan one might be (see my sig, I have plenty of Apple kit), has dropped the ball on this one - and that's not really only an opinion as it's demonstrable by facts - hopefully they will get it back on track with 2.1.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
My wishlist too would be stereo bluetooth and the ability to watch live tv but I don't think either of those will be Steve's BIG secret. Maybe Apple's going to announce that they're going to start selling the iphone unlocked - even though it's not really a feature per say, it's sort of a guess and wish in one. With Apple already saying that it's in their future and being that AT&T's towers are already overloaded and struggling to keep it would make sense timing wise. I'll guess we'll all know what the big deal is in 3 hours. Whatever it is I really hope it wows me.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
What about Printing from the iphone over a wi-fi network?

ooh!
I like your thinking. Not sure what I would print other than photos though but I also thought that I wouldnt need email/internet/games/ on my phone but now I cant live without them (not literally of course......)

I agree that the bug fixes would be good. Couple that with a satnav app (tomtom or similar) and I will cream my y's

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
can't wait to see what will be comign out today with apple. AIM notifying me of IM would be SICK

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm just hoping for fixes to the obvious things: SMS lag, app crashes, updating apps through iTunes, etc. I'm at the point where I'm not even expecting that much, just a bunch of BS hype that, once released, won't amount to anything more than yet ANOTHER restore of my phone.

I'd be shocked if the "secret feature" was actually that Apple finally figured out how to stabilize their own damn OS they've ruined with 2.0 :(

1.1.4 was so damn stable and fast.

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Iphone only has 1 physical speaker, the other thing is a microphone

Isn't there technically two speakers?

One in the bottom left for "speakerphone" / iPod playback without a headset, and then one in the top-middle for hearing phone calls.

They just don't operate at the same time.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Isn't there technically two speakers?

One in the bottom left for "speakerphone" / iPod playback without a headset, and then one in the top-middle for hearing phone calls.

They just don't operate at the same time.
A microphone IS a speaker. It works on the same principle. You can use headphones as a crappy mic and you can use a dynamic mic as a crappy speaker. Considering the miniscule size and severely limited dynamic range of the iPhone speaker, the physical difference between the speaker and the mic is probably negligible. So in theory the iPhone has three potential 'speakers'.

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
ooh!
I like your thinking. Not sure what I would print other than photos though but I also thought that I wouldnt need email/internet/games/ on my phone but now I cant live without them (not literally of course......)

I agree that the bug fixes would be good. Couple that with a satnav app (tomtom or similar) and I will cream my y's

Doesn't printing from the iPhone imply print drivers to be installed on the iPhone? I doubt that's going to happen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

I agree completely. I don't have a lot of problems with 2.0.2, but even with the small problems we have, the iPhone is still the best smart phone I have ever seen/used, and it's getting better all the time. People seem to forget that 2.0 was a huge update where a lot of stuff had to change in the background for support for 3rd party apps and that meant moving stuff around. Instead of running as root, the iPhone now runs as the user "mobile". So yeah, it wasn't a simple thing to do. I think it came out pretty well and of course for a major overhaul, there's gonna be some snags.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I agree completely. I don't have a lot of problems with 2.0.2, but even with the small problems we have, the iPhone is still the best smart phone I have ever seen/used, and it's getting better all the time. People seem to forget that 2.0 was a huge update where a lot of stuff had to change in the background for support for 3rd party apps and that meant moving stuff around. Instead of running as root, the iPhone now runs as the user "mobile". So yeah, it wasn't a simple thing to do. I think it came out pretty well and of course for a major overhaul, there's gonna be some snags.
2.0.2 isn't half bad, but the reason why people expect perfection from Apple is that Apple markets itself as the damn-near perfect alternative to inferior competition.

Nokia doesn't have commercials featuring "Nokia guy and SonyEricsson guy" claiming that SonyEricsson phones are crap that constantly crashes while Nokia "just works". Microsoft doesn't have commercials claiming that OS X and Linux are paths to a world of hurt. None of those companies stoop to mockery of the competition, and none of those companies has a snooty and aloof user base that repeats the message of the advertising.

Apple, its userbase and its advertising are all in agreement: Apple products are perfect, OS X is perfect, Apple's software is perfect and clinically bug free. How can that attitude not result in moaning and disappointment?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
2.0.2 isn't half bad, but the reason why people expect perfection from Apple is that Apple markets itself as the damn-near perfect alternative to inferior competition.

Nokia doesn't have commercials featuring "Nokia guy and SonyEricsson guy" claiming that SonyEricsson phones are crap that constantly crashes while Nokia "just works". Microsoft doesn't have commercials claiming that OS X and Linux are paths to a world of hurt. None of those companies stoop to mockery of the competition, and none of those companies has a snooty and aloof user base that repeats the message of the advertising.

Apple, its userbase and its advertising are all in agreement: Apple products are perfect, OS X is perfect, Apple's software is perfect and clinically bug free. How can that attitude not result in moaning and disappointment?

While I do not agree that any Apple product has ever been perfect... I think that the user experience with a Mac is just way better than any other platform.. that's the part that sells. If Apple started designing products like other companies, it just wouldn't feel like Apple anymore... I'll admit, I think we're spoiled by Apple... I mean use someone else's cell phone and it's no where NEAR as elegant and simple as the iPhone yet we still complain about "It doesn't have this, it doesn't have that" well the stuff it DOES have is amazing.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007

Easy there tiger, you're starting to make sense. We look down on that sort of thing round these parts.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT

While I do not agree that any Apple product has ever been perfect... I think that the user experience with a Mac is just way better than any other platform.. that's the part that sells. If Apple started designing products like other companies, it just wouldn't feel like Apple anymore... I'll admit, I think we're spoiled by Apple... I mean use someone else's cell phone and it's no where NEAR as elegant and simple as the iPhone yet we still complain about "It doesn't have this, it doesn't have that" well the stuff it DOES have is amazing.

As a very satisfied windows user, I have to jump in here and say that I think Anuba is pretty accurate in what he states. I seem to recall major problems with the new Leopard Software and that it is about as unstable as Vista (although I don't and won't ever use a Mac so only go from what I read) and now very unstable 2.0.x and 7.7.x is also very unstable and causing many problems.

In fact my XP is so stable that I didn't even install the SP3 until it Auto updated which meant it had also been stabalized. It has been on my system for a week and no issues what so ever. I actually find it funny that Microsoft wants to stoop so low as to attempt to emulate Apple commercials and degrade each other. IMO this is totally stupid as a marketing strategy and eventually backfires. The Microsoft world is still 70% of the market and that will never change by much. Users will move back and forth and those that are comfortable (like me) will stay with the OS that best supports that user.

Don't get me wrong...I love my iPhone and I use iTunes over Media Player because its so much user friendly...how ever both suck in sound. So in short, there are plus's and minus's to each OS and right now I am finding, seeing and reading the Microsoft is a lot more stable platforms then Apple's.

Here it comes...3, 2, 1.....:eek:

Back on subject: I really want to see the Bluetooth A2DP functionality come to life, note sync and total stabilization of the OS and until it does, I will stay with the classic and let the 3G stay in the store. The other stuff I am not too crazy about.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
mainly bug fixes....that's all you're going to get....
new designed ipod touches and nanos and other design changes... which Iphone users don't care...

iphone users waiting for "new features" will be very disappointed. I'll come back to this thread and say " I told you"....

HAHAHA!!!!
I TOLD YOU
So I am quoting myself, thank you very much.....:D:D:D:D:D
I don't buy apple's hype anymore....

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
ugh this thread ended up being a bust

That's apple..I've been a Mac user for over 15 years..I am used to all this...

-We have a super new feature coming!!!
-What is it, what is it?
-We'll fix bugs
-What tha?

That's Apple for ya...
Classic!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.