Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jawad7

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Wasn't there before i upgraded up iTunes 8.0. I just want Artist and Album menus...how do i get rid of the first one that says genre? if at all possible.

jawad7

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Oh. Has that not always been there?

Was it an option once?

I've always had it displaying

i didn't have it about an hour ago then i upgraded to 8.0 and it's there! Don't need it and could do with getting rid off.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In the browser? I don't know and it's annoying me. There used to be an option in preferences but it seems to have been removed...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Same here, I used to have it turned off. It was in the General preferences but it's gone now in 8.0.

Here are the 2 screenshots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

-Kevin

jawad7

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
it will be so annoying if it can't be removed...keep looking through all the preferences, settings, etc but can't find anything to get rid of it.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
This is seriously stopping me from upgrading at the moment.

I have no use for seeing genres as half of my 8,000 library hasn't even got a genre set, and those that do have either wrong or genres that are uselessly vague.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
I have the same problem. With almost 16,000 songs in iTunes, a genre filter is of little use. Between the number of files and the vagueness of genres for a lot of music, I have always turned off and avoided that bowser window. It would be a shame to not be able to turn off that needless clutter.

jigo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
FL
I'm not liking this. I never use Genres, now I'm forced to look at them all the time.

Edit: Found this defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

Life is good again.

jawad7

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I'm not liking this. I never use Genres, now I'm forced to look at them all the time.

Edit: Found this defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

Life is good again.

i don't understand what you mean - can you explain please.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

Life is good again.

Mmm, excellent. Works perfectly. Thanks

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I must be missing something... can't you just 'control+click' it and then uncheck 'Genre'.

I'm REALLY hoping that I'm just misunderstanding...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Life is good again.

Awesome thanks.

By the way, can someone explain, when someone runs one of these defaults write commands, what does it write to? The .plist file?

-Kevin

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah, if that entry doesn't exist it creates it, otherwise it is just a command line way of modifying what you see when viewing plist files with Property List Editor, which I don't have installed right now so very grateful for these fixes. Now I have turned off everything that iTunes 8 added, yay :)!

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
does anyone know where i can do this on a windows machine? Im dying here, the arrows and the genre list are so annoying.

I wish i could afford a mac :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.