Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
i like it how you buy a ipod and then a week later they come out with a new one....
oh well but im happy with my itouch. i only wish i had a external controller for it because its an inconvenience to take the ipod out of my pocket and look at it and have to touch it up to get the right volume or next song. you know what im saying?

Those were my thoughts when I tried using a friends iTouch after using iPhone for more then a year! Especially pain in the ass when U r in transit or when its cold when U prefer ur hands tucked in! ;)

matthews1122

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Bluetooth, Wifi, Fm Transciever?

Has anyone noticed here that if you look up "broadcom bcm4325 bluetooth chip" on google search it comes up showing that it does bluetooth, wifi, and an fm transciever? I think this may lead to future software updates allowing the radio on ipod touch!

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Very bad planning on Nike's part if this isn't actually transmitted via Bluetooth. Installing a proprietary chip just so a few people can use it with their overpriced running shoes just doesn't seem worth it, unless Nike paid Apple a huge boatload of cash to do it.

Adding Bluetooth capability would be FAR more useful to many more people.

Blessing in disguise :apple::rolleyes:

If Nike+ is not using the Bluetooth chip which is inside the new iTouch means that Apple will activate the Bluetooth chip later thru a s/w update and we might be able to use this for bluetooth file transfer.....
If they enable this for iTouch then I can see it coming to my iPhone too :D

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Did I not CALL IT.

Over in the "no Nike+ on iPhone" thread, I asked what could be so proprietary about a 2.4Ghz digital signal, hardware wise.

A somewhat proprietary signal over standard hardware was more likely, and now appears to be the case. It may not even be that proprietary, Nike+ may just be hard-coded pairing between dongle and sensor (or all dongles and all sensors, but not other devices), and now iPod Touch firmware, rather than variable pairing of bluetooth devices. And maybe the firmware for the iPod touch denies other pairing and visual indication.

The hardware between the iPhone and iPod touch is not that different, save cellular systems, and that makes sense for manufacturing, design, software, and other reasons.

Now, just bring on the firmware to activate the A2DP bluetooth on iPod Touch, and also to engage it fully on the iPhone, allowing both Nike+, AND stereo bluetooth audio playback.

Come on, Apple. Take a page from Nike, and DO IT!

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Has anyone noticed here that if you look up "broadcom bcm4325 bluetooth chip" on google search it comes up showing that it does bluetooth, wifi, and an fm transciever? I think this may lead to future software updates allowing the radio on ipod touch!

I hope so. I sometimes want to listen to the radio or just get the news while i';m on the go early in the morning

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Blessing in disguise :apple::rolleyes:

If Nike+ is not using the Bluetooth chip which is inside the new iTouch means that Apple will activate the Bluetooth chip later thru a s/w update and we might be able to use this for bluetooth file transfer.....
If they enable this for iTouch then I can see it coming to my iPhone too :D

what about wi-fi music sharing? Share music with other ipod touch owners?

Philz

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Hey!

Reading that broadcom PDF, reveals that it can do AES/TKIP encryption on chip (hardware accelerated). That is great! Less battery draw and smoother performance on web based apps :) , get to offload the arm processor for better things, like loading omnifocous! lol

havand

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
If the chip can do wifi, bluetooth and fm...Would the bluetooth and fm not need dedicated antennas as well?

nvbrit

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Reno, NV
They didnt wanted to repeat the each and every feature on list for nano and then again for the Touch! However, they have got no information in the guided tour about the compatibility of the Mic with the new nano either? They had to use one of the new iPods (nano or Touch) to show the use for the remote earbuds and they chose nano....

If you download the user guides for the new Nano and Touch from Apple http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipod you will see in the Nano one there are 4 separate entries regarding the microphone and voice recording, in the user guide for the touch there is ZERO information regarding a mic or voice recording or anything similar... very odd if this IS a new feature!

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
what about wi-fi music sharing? Share music with other ipod touch owners?

Wud be damn good to see that.... but will like to see iTouch and iPhone score some battery points before iTouch/iPhone go full out WiFi....

Or else I will be charging my iPhone more often then using the darn thing! We need a major break through in the battery technology and charging technology.... thats the bottle neck going forward!

ballyhoos

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
bluetooth chip + bluetooth GPS receiver dongle = GPS ... that's awesome, just need an app that allows downloading/storing of the maps to the file system and the app to read them from the blue dongle cords.

This is currently implemented on many phones this way...

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
The chip is really a waste if they're not using the Bluetooth functionality. Making use of the integrated FM radio would be nice as well.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Very bad planning on Nike's part if this isn't actually transmitted via Bluetooth. Installing a proprietary chip just so a few people can use it with their overpriced running shoes just doesn't seem worth it, unless Nike paid Apple a huge boatload of cash to do it.

Adding Bluetooth capability would be FAR more useful to many more people.

Gotta agree with you.

Apple would rather gimp a feature than create too much diversity within a product line.

It doesn't make sense to put a proprietary chip in there just for some over priced jogging shoe accessory. They just include bluetooth for the Nike crap and gimp it. It's one of the disadvantages to a closed system. This sounds like Verizon and their bluetooth fiasco. "Sure it has bluetooth, but you can only use it how we say you can use it"

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
If you download the user guides for the new Nano and Touch from Apple http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipod you will see in the Nano one there are 4 separate entries regarding the microphone and voice recording, in the user guide for the touch there is ZERO information regarding a mic or voice recording or anything similar... very odd if this IS a new feature!

The entries for 4th Gen Nano are under Voice Memos Recording. This feature has been present even in the 3rd gen Nano.... Hvnt checked 2nd Gens Manual yet.

As you know, functionality (native apps) like these for iTouch would require a more thorough development and testing then the non-Touch iPods. Therefore I guess we will see the voice recording feature trickle to iTouch/iPhone at a later date or may be even tom via software update....

We have the information re the exact number of connector contacts for iTouch and iPhone then we can nail down the compatibility of all features(incl volume control) for iTouch as well as iPhone.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
If Nike+ is not using the Bluetooth chip which is inside the new iTouch means that Apple will activate the Bluetooth chip later thru a s/w update and we might be able to use this for bluetooth file transfer..... If they enable this for iTouch then I can see it coming to my iPhone too :D

I sure hope you're right. Otherwise, what a waste of space and technology inside the device.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Wud be damn good to see that.... but will like to see iTouch and iPhone score some battery points before iTouch/iPhone go full out WiFi....

Or else I will be charging my iPhone more often then using the darn thing! We need a major break through in the battery technology and charging technology.... thats the bottle neck going forward!

the new touch can have up to 36 hours of audio battery life....... 6 for video. could be better, 40 hours for audio and 12 for video ...

USER REPLACEABLE BATTERYS!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Hmmm.....

Just means that we're gonna get Nike+ support pretty soon and some other bluetooth features as well if Apple decides to publicly unveil the feature set.... maybe WiFi sharing b/w iPhones and iPods Touch like in the Zune!

As for the FM... no antenna is present (citation req) and more importantly.... no Interest by Apple! So if the antenna is present then maybe a basbeband firmware change (jailbreaking) might be able to activate the feature if Broadcom already doesnt sell the product to Apple with the FM transceiver locked out!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This blows... I submitted this.. No credit? Gee, thanks Arn? I will be sure to be your servant sometime soon again...
:rolleyes:

Sorry gregdrummeraz,

The iFixit guy im'd me at the same time. But you were the first submission for it. fixed.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.