Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
can anyone help...My bill has gotten out of hand, I just want to sell my 3G iPhone, get a new touch, maybe even a new nano too if I can get a deal good enough on my 3G iphone....but does anyone know how to avoid an early termination of contract fee...that actually is proven to work..thanks

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
can anyone help...My bill has gotten out of hand, I just want to sell my 3G iPhone, get a new touch, maybe even a new nano too if I can get a deal good enough on my 3G iphone....but does anyone know how to avoid an early termination of contract fee...that actually is proven to work..thanks

Your bill isn't going to get any cheaper with the HTC Touch. Its still a smart phone and most carriers are going to get a base service package + data package out of you.

If your switching away from AT&T you can LIE and claim your moving to an area where AT&T has no coverage. BUT i think they require proof.

Other then that I've not heard of a reliable way out of the $175 fee.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007

You'll have to pay the termination fee. The only other option is to not pay and have them destroy your credit. Not a good option.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Your bill isn't going to get any cheaper with the HTC Touch. Its still a smart phone and most carriers are going to get a base service package + data package out of you.

If your switching away from AT&T you can LIE and claim your moving to an area where AT&T has no coverage. BUT i think they require proof.

I'm pretty sure he meant the iPod Touch... not the HTC Touch phone.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006

For that one guy, I was refering to the new ipod Touch, not that HTP or whatever touch, I would switch carriers or something....But their isnt anyway to get out of contract, Ive heard their are little things in your contract that you can sneak out of it

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
You could easily sell the iPhone 3G, then with that money turn around and pay for your Early Termination Fee, heck you may even have enough left over to buy your touch and/or a nano. Ebay is you friend. I have been with Verizon and Alltel before going with AT&T to get the iPhone. I left early with each one of them but never incurred an ETF fee because I ebayed the phones and used the money to pay the EFT and still had a little left over. Just my two cents!!

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Just a thought, can I keep breaking contract and sign up a new control with iphone to make money?

sign up contract, get iphone, sell iphone on ebay for 700$. Break contract and pay 150$ fee and pocket 550$ free money???? then of course redo the whole process...

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Just a thought, can I keep breaking contract and sign up a new control with iphone to make money?

sign up contract, get iphone, sell iphone on ebay for 700$. Break contract and pay 150$ fee and pocket 550$ free money???? then of course redo the whole process...

you wont pocket up to $550 more likle $150

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008

Hah, if it sounds as simple as you're putting it, you should do it.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008

you knew you couldnt afford the bill for 2 years but still you jumped on the iphone. well you could just sell your iphone and have a data less plan without a smart phone, no need to break your contract.

Inukami

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I think you have to wait to sign up again with ATT or something, i doubt they are going to let you do that.

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
yeah it sound too good to be true but I think it doable.
Im under a contract in a family plan with a friend of mine. If it worth it to terminate my line and sign up under my own name and make some cash I might consider it.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Call your carrier and see what you can work out.

RobUM

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I sold my 1st Generation iPhone and switched to Verizon, and I still haven't gotten hit with the termination fee (switched about 3 months ago). So I don't know what I did that was special, but so far I'm unscathed from my early termination...

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
I think ETFs are going by the wayside and ATTN ex VZW customers.

I have had serveral contracts with VZW which i left early and paid ETFs on 2 of them. One i got out of because i moved and my new area was a dead zone. Anyways the other day i get a notice in the mail that a California court ruled VZWs ETF unlawful. If your paid an ETF between july 23, 1999 and August 10, 2008, your entitled to VZW paying it back to you. I entered my info and i will be getting $350 back. Not sure if you can bring this up for leverage in canceling AT&T but its worth a shot

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
yeah it sound too good to be true but I think it doable.
Im under a contract in a family plan with a friend of mine. If it worth it to terminate my line and sign up under my own name and make some cash I might consider it.
You should do it. Base on YOUR logic, it sounds like a profitable plan. I am looking forward to your response upon receiving the first bill.

sifredi

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
At the end of october I'll be in NY and would love to buy a 3G handset but I am not a US resident and so I would be eager to know if I can sign a contract, cancel it the other day, pay my ETF and after that unlock the iphone by ATT? :confused:
Would that szenirio be possible? My girlfriend is working for an airline so I am pretty sure she will get a contract.

any ideas?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
At the end of october I'll be in NY and would love to buy a 3G handset but I am not a US resident and so I would be eager to know if I can sign a contract, cancel it the other day, pay my ETF and after that unlock the iphone by ATT? :confused:
Would that szenirio be possible? My girlfriend is working for an airline so I am pretty sure she will get a contract.

any ideas?

In general, AT&T does not provide any unlocking services for iPhones.

_______

To the OP: Are you planning to rid yourself of cellular phones outright, or just to replace your iPhone with a "normal" phone on a cheaper plan? If it's the former, then you *might* be able to avoid the ETF if you can convince somebody else to take over your plan.

Alternatively, you might get lucky and AT&T might suddenly decide to increase their rates - AT&T's terms of service state in part:
IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR RATE PLAN BROCHURE, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE WILL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

On the other hand, if you just want to replace the iPhone with a non-smartphone, then you should be able to sell your iPhone, buy a new cheapo GSM phone outright (either AT&T-branded, or else unlocked), and pop your old iPhone's SIM into it. As of that moment, you'll be eligible to drop the data plan and opt for any voice plan you wish, without breaching your original contract and without needing to pay any termination fees.

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
what about having an iPhone bill is getting out of hand? Are you texting too much? Talking past your minutes? How do you know this won't happen with the new phone?

Pay the etf, don't try to weasel your way out... It's cuz of people like you that makes companies so cautious in dealing with real cases of people needing to opt out of a contract for REAL reasons...

Jayden0606

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Bergen County, NJ
what about having an iPhone bill is getting out of hand? Are you texting too much? Talking past your minutes? How do you know this won't happen with the new phone?

Pay the etf, don't try to weasel your way out... It's cuz of people like you that makes companies so cautious in dealing with real cases of people needing to opt out of a contract for REAL reasons...

Amen.

Everything I do in life I plan for it to be much higher than it really is.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i have the first iphone and its on pay as u go, now i want the 3g iphone but i dont want to pay the high fee. can i buy the 3g and then cancel my contract/plan with att and still keep the iphone? that wont do anything to my credit right? thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.