Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
As a result of the release of iTunes 8 and the newest feature Genius, I had to reorganize my library a little bit. Before Genius, I alphabetized the artists with a self titled band name by their last name (ex. Johnson,Jack). I changed all the artists to display their name correctly (ex. Jack Johnson). Everything seems to be working fairly well with iTunes 8 and Genius.
The weird problem I am having is some of the album artwork, from the artists I changed their name, is not showing up on my iPod and iPhone. All the artwork shows up on iTunes without a problem, but there are a few albums that don't show up on my iPod and iPhone. I have tried retagging the albums with the artwork again, but it just won't transfer over.
When I look at where the files are stored on my external hard drive, it seems like it is always the first song that doesn't show the artwork like the other songs do.

Any ideas? Thanks.

jmann

macrumors 604
Same thing happened to me

I invested in an application called coverscout, and it pulls up your itunes library and shows you all your albums that itunes download artwork for, and stores it on your computer. It will also show you "incomplete albums" where itunes only associated the artwork with the first song in the album, that is why in iTunes it shows up ok, but when you play the song individually on your ipod/iphone it doesn't show the art. It will automatically save the art for each song instead as a whole album. That program worked wonders for me and was a big help.

Jeff

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I invested in an application called coverscout, and it pulls up your itunes library and shows you all your albums that itunes download artwork for, and stores it on your computer. It will also show you "incomplete albums" where itunes only associated the artwork with the first song in the album, that is why in iTunes it shows up ok, but when you play the song individually on your ipod/iphone it doesn't show the art. It will automatically save the art for each song instead as a whole album. That program worked wonders for me and was a big help.

Jeff

I just tried out coverscout and all the albums I am having problems with showed no problems on coverscout. It must be a firmware problem with my iPod and iPhone. I will try a restore when I get a chance and see if that helps.

jmann

macrumors 604
I just tried out coverscout and all the albums I am having problems with showed no problems on coverscout. It must be a firmware problem with my iPod and iPhone. I will try a restore when I get a chance and see if that helps.

Yes, and if for some reason that doesn't help, I would jump on apple.com and schedule and appointment with a Genius! :D I'm sure they will feel sympathy. They replaced my touch for free.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I had similar problems.

First, half of the tracks in iTunes appeared to be not recognising the album art until I highlighted the song... so I had to scroll through 9000 songs to get the art picked up. <shrugs>

Then it didn't appear on my iPod when I updated.

However, unticking the "show album artwork on my ipod" box, syncing the ipod to remove all album artwork (quicker than it sounds) and then ticking this box and updating the ipod again seems to have fixed it.

Got all my artwork showing back up now anyway.

PDX NTV

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Another work-around (best practice?)

However, unticking the "show album artwork on my ipod" box, syncing the ipod to remove all album artwork (quicker than it sounds) and then ticking this box and updating the ipod again seems to have fixed it.

Got all my artwork showing back up now anyway.

I found that the artwork that wasn't displaying in my new touch was from albums where artwork was not associated with every song on the album. Since I couldn't find a checkbox to untick "show album artwork..." I had to find a different solution.

I found that affected albums were ones where I had pasted artwork into a track or two, but not every track of an album. So I tried copying artwork from Get Info of a track that had it, selected all tracks of that album and pasted the art into that Get Info's artwork space. When I synced, the artwork transfered to my iPod. Whew!

This is a slightly painful process, but I learned my lesson that from here on out, paste the artwork at the album level, not in an individual track to let iTunes populate the entire album with the art--because it doesn't.

looter

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008

Where in iTunes 8.1 Mac is this? I can't find it in iTunes or on the iPhone.

Thanks!

viborg

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
As far as I can tell, it no longer exists. I just spent about 30 minutes looking for it, or any similar option. No luck whatsoever.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
As far as I can tell, it no longer exists. I just spent about 30 minutes looking for it, or any similar option. No luck whatsoever.

When your iPod is connected, highlight the iPod in the left hand list of folders etc and select the Music tab on the main window (where you select which music, playlists etc you want to sync) and there's the tick box "Display album artwork on your iPod".

Still there in the latest version of iTunes.

trustopinion

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I found that affected albums were ones where I had pasted artwork into a track or two, but not every track of an album. So I tried copying artwork from Get Info of a track that had it, selected all tracks of that album and pasted the art into that Get Info's artwork space. When I synced, the artwork transfered to my iPod. Whew!/QUOTE]

This seems to be working so far with a few covers, lets see how the other 1000 or so songs go.. thanks tho

Jakeinator

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Central Florida
I have had a similar problem with my artwork not showing up at the lock screen. It displays fine inside the actual iPod app (where you play, pause, skip, ect..) but when I lock my iPhone, then press the home button to go to the "Slide to unlock" screen, It only displays the song title that's playing. No artwork.. any ideas?

jeannapop

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Artwork not showing on iPhone Lock screen

I have had a similar problem with my artwork not showing up at the lock screen. It displays fine inside the actual iPod app (where you play, pause, skip, ect..) but when I lock my iPhone, then press the home button to go to the "Slide to unlock" screen, It only displays the song title that's playing. No artwork.. any ideas?

I had exactly the same problem - try restarting your phone (hold down the lock & home buttons together until it switches off) worked a treat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.