Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I checked around and noticed that none of the prior SUID errors posted were like this.

When running "Repair Disk Permissions" in Disk Utility I received two messages I never have before:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

and

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Any idea what these are and if I should be concerned. Thanks!

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
I get those exact same ones as well

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/lppasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Just updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just checked my Powerbook G4 that got updated as well. It's showing the same errors as my Macbook Pro... I guess Apple will post an "Ignore it" thread on their support site at some point.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Solved the problem
I downloaded the 10.5.5 combo updater, ran the installer. Presto all permission errors are gone. I even ran permission repair 3 times.:)

Thanks Apple, Thanks Steve jobs and Steve Wozniak. I love you guys, and I love my mac :D

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
I get those exact same ones as well

Just updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4

same thing happened on my imac.

did the combo install and all is fine.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I got the same errors, but did anyone else notice that A) It no longer takes forever to repair permissions, and; B) the list no longer goes on forever.

JD50

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks from central NY

Combo 10.5.5 fixed me too and yes it is faster. Glad I found you all. Now if the ACL's would go away I would have a clean machine (iMac) 2nd year away from PC--it is great.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Looks like this is an issue with the update from the Software Update. I did 2 updates, one for my MacBook (from software update) and my Mac Pro (from combo update).

Sure enough, the MacBook has the same issues where the Mac Pro does not.

So I reinstalled from the 10.5.5 combo update, and the errors were gone.

-Kevin

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Thanks for these posts as I have experienced the same problem. Will do as suggested but this Mac is currently much "slower" than it was before this update. Trust the combo fix will fix it.

Yikes just discovered that combo update is over 601MB!

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
I have these permission things as well, but as far as I can tell nothing is wrong with 10.5.5 ,if I do have problems what do I do? Just download the combo update and run it or do you have to do a restore first?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have these permission things as well, but as far as I can tell nothing is wrong with 10.5.5 ,if I do have problems what do I do? Just download the combo update and run it or do you have to do a restore first?

Any sign of trouble and you can/should just install the 10.5.5 Combo update. There is no harm in doing this (you can do this now if you wanted to).

Any Archive/Install or reformat should always be the last resort. Creating a new user account should be done before that.

-Kevin

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
You live and learn, thanks people.:)

Mac Rumors has got to be the best Forum on the web, I always get great answers to any question.

Thanks again.

Macbear1

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
The combo update worked

After doing a google search for the SUID messages I was geting when running permissions repair, I stumbled on to this forum. Well I went ahead an downloaded the 10.5.5 combo update and installed it. Ran permissions repair after wards and it came up clean. Glad this forum is here. Thanks.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
After doing a google search for the SUID messages I was geting when running permissions repair, I stumbled on to this forum. Well I went ahead an downloaded the 10.5.5 combo update and installed it. Ran permissions repair after wards and it came up clean. Glad this forum is here. Thanks.

Two things we can't live without....MacRumors and Google! :p

-Kevin

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/check_afp.app/Contents/MacOS/check_afp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/mount_nfs" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/ps" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SCHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/scselect" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping6" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/route" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/netstat" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetworkConfig.framework/Versions/A/Resources/NetCfgTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/login" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/lib/sa/sadc" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/chkpasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/ipcs" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute6" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/rlogin", should be -rwsr-xr-x , they are -r-sr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/su" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/at" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atq" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atrm" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/batch" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chfn" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chpass" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/newgrp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/passwd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/atq.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/atrm.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/batch.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man8/halt.8.gz", should be -r--r--r-- , they are lr--r--r-- .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/top" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/Resources/pmTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.
Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

:eek:

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/check_afp.app/Contents/MacOS/check_afp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/mount_nfs" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/ps" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SCHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/scselect" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/ping6" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/route" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/netstat" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetworkConfig.framework/Versions/A/Resources/NetCfgTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/login" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/lib/sa/sadc" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/chkpasswd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/lppasswd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/ipcs" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/traceroute6" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/bin/rlogin", should be -rwsr-xr-x , they are -r-sr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/su" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/at" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atq" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/atrm" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/batch" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chfn" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chpass" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/chsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/newgrp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/passwd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/atq.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/atrm.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/batch.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man8/halt.8.gz", should be -r--r--r-- , they are lr--r--r-- .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/top" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/Resources/pmTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.
Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

:eek:

Wow you got a crapload of stuff happening!! I did the combo update last night because I had the ssuid error too and after combo all is fine now. Time to throw your lappy away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.