Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snufkin877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hi,

I tried to jailbreak my iphone 3G with Pwange tool on a mac. Everything was good but when I tried to restore the iphone (with ALT) and check the file iPhone1,2_2.0.2_5C1_Custom_Restore I got the message "The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600).
I using iTunes 8 BUT I downgrad to iTunes 7.7.0 but its still not works.
This is the second Jailbreak. The first one was good with iTunes 7.etc.

Please try to help me. It's very important for me.

Lousansano

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
Same problem

The same thing is happening to me on my original iPhone but I'm already hacked and stuck in DFU mode after the phone froze during the day and refused to turn on. Whenever i try and restore, when the apple logo comes up on the iPhone screen it blanks out and itunes eventually gives me the error. (this happens in the preparing iphone for restore stage in itunes)

iphone-unlock

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
adelaide, brisbane
Guys
I Unlock and repair iPhone's in Adelaide Austraila, and to fix this just run QuickPwn. I have tried 10 times with the usual PwnageTool, all 1600 fails. but 1 swoop of quickpwn worked.

Macbook 2.1, Itunes 8, iPhone 2.0.2

marcoue

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Guys
I Unlock and repair iPhone's in Adelaide Austraila, and to fix this just run QuickPwn. I have tried 10 times with the usual PwnageTool, all 1600 fails. but 1 swoop of quickpwn worked.

Macbook 2.1, Itunes 8, iPhone 2.0.2

Had the same problem. This solution worked for me. (iPhone 1th gen)

Thanks for posting

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
There must be hundreds of topics about the 1600 error! :mad:

I did a search, and can't find many using "unknown error (1600)" as the search terms... I keep getting the same error; and I've deleted files out of the Device Support folder... Kinda scratching my head right now; never had a problem jailbreaking my phone all the way back to 1.1.3.

yop8oogh6y

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
resolved: error 1600 and 2001

I ran into trouble trying to pwn my iPhone 3G with firmware 2.1 getting errors 1600 and 2001.

The errors were:
- The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1600).
- The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (2001).

Here is what resolved the issue for me:
1) Use QuickPwn.app (v 1.1, just click all the way through)
2) Do a PwnageTool.app ipsw custom build
3) DFU mode guided by PwnageTool.app
4) run iTunes upload (v 2.1) of ipsw
3) restore iPhone from backup

Cheers!

yop8oogh6y

myemaildw

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2008
Hi,

I tried to jailbreak my iphone 3G with Pwange tool on a mac. Everything was good but when I tried to restore the iphone (with ALT) and check the file iPhone1,2_2.0.2_5C1_Custom_Restore I got the message "The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600).
I using iTunes 8 BUT I downgrad to iTunes 7.7.0 but its still not works.
This is the second Jailbreak. The first one was good with iTunes 7.etc.

Please try to help me. It's very important for me.

I also was in this problem but then I just restored without DFU mode and it worked. In any case if you get 1600 error, it's ok, there is a way to pass that, just Google.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I also had trouble with error 1600.

Note: all restoring, Pwning was done in DFU mode (not restore) on a Mac w/10.5.4 without a SIM card in.

- Originally had 2.0.2 working fine.
- Pwnaged to 2.1 using iTunes 8 on Mac whilst abroad.
- Returned home and tried to Sync an old backup - stopped booting :rolleyes:
- iTunes 7.7.1 complained the phone needed v8 to restore
- Upgraded to v8, re-Pwnaged but got error 1600. Also received errors about not retrieving SIM information.
- Restored factory firmware 2.1 which worked OK.
- Force Quit iTunes Helper app using Activity Monitor, Quit iTunes 8.
- Used QuickPwn (Mac).
- iPhone works again.

So, if Pwnage with custom firmware won't work, restore to official firmware and use QuickPwn. :)

I seem to always have problems Syncing from backups if I upgrade to new firmware. Usually the phone is showing in iTunes but the actual phone screen shows the Apple logo with the spinning cog thing jammed endlessly, vibrating until the battery dies.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have an 8 Gig as a backup and can pwnage it in DFU mode, but when I try to load my 4 Gig (I use for everyday), I got the 1600. I just used "restore" (even when it wasn't pwned before) and it loaded and worked just fine.

See if just "restore" works.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I have an 8 Gig as a backup and can pwnage it in DFU mode, but when I try to load my 4 Gig (I use for everyday), I got the 1600. I just used "restore" (even when it wasn't pwned before) and it loaded and worked just fine.

See if just "restore" works.

Do you mean simply Option + Restore WITHOUT putting the iPhone into DFU Recovery mode? (and then select the custom firmware?)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Do you mean simply Option + Restore WITHOUT putting the iPhone into DFU Recovery mode? (and then select the custom firmware?)

Yes.. on my 4 Gig, my first pwnage on 2.0.1, I just used restore without DFU mode. I tried DFU mode on 2.1, and got the 1600. I just used restore without DFU mode and it works fine.

Maybe it's a weird thing with the 4 Gigs and maybe some of the 8's.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
I'm doing the restore without DFU now, seems to be going ok, no 1600 yet. I'm on an 8Gig first gen. Bootneuter screen.... rebooting....restoring from backup...reboot... bam. crash. While restoring it got stuck on the boot screen with the progress wheel spinning and two vibrations, over, and over, and over. I finally killed it and if I reconnect, iTunes will do a nomal sync with the iPhone buzzing every five seconds. Weird. I'll try it again and see what happens after the sync.

XiiAoMao

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Well, same as mine too, however, i managed to solve it.
Step 1: Download 2.1 firmware from - http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware
Step 2: Restart your computer, and immediately go to iTunes when started.
Step 3: Plug iPhone to DFU mode. (Do not release the home and on/off button until iTunes detected your iPhone.)
Step 4: iTunes will take over from here.

Note: You might want to manually select the firmware instead of allowing iTunes to do so.:D

lv99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Can you give me more in-depth detail on how to do that...I dont understand. THX!

quickpwn last step will walk you thru steps to put your iphone in DFU mode. or simpy do these;

1) shutdown itunes (quickpwn do this very well - i hardly get 1600 with quickpwn), power off iphone
2) hold HOME button 3 to 5 sec (i used windows xp clock for timing0
3) press and hold both HOME + POWER for 10 sec
4) release POWER and continue hold HOME until you see windows xp po up msg regarding USB device. at this time iphone screen should turn white. you can relase HOME button and wait for itunes to launch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.