Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttt1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Ok i need a HD camera for mac that is compatible with Final Cut Studio.
My price range is a MAX of $1,500.
I want High Definition 1080i for pro picture quality.
So what is the BEST camera for me?

Also are there ANY "HD hard disk drive" cameras that are compatible for mac because i cannot find any. I prefer HDD over tape but if there are none i guess i have no choice.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Ok i need a HD camera for mac that is compatible with Final Cut Studio.
My price range is a MAX of $1,500.
I want High Definition 1080i for pro picture quality.
So what is the BEST camera for me?

Also are there ANY "HD hard disk drive" cameras that are compatible for mac because i cannot find any. I prefer HDD over tape but if there are none i guess i have no choice.

Almost all of the HD HDD cameras are Mac-compatible.

Per Apple's KB article, Canon's entire line of HD camcorders are supported (I have an HF100 that I'm really happy with,) in iMovie; so you can bet they work in Final Cut. The Final Cut Pro Format Support page shows support for a variety of formats, including AVCHD (the format used by essentially all HDD and flash HD cameras.)

However, for $1500, you won't get "pro" picture quality. You'll get VERY GOOD "prosumer", but not "pro". Canon and Sony both have good models at that price point. The very latest models from each support the highest bitrate AVCHD supports; for the best possible AVCHD picture quality.

A good source for video cam reviews is http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.