Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives > Macworld San Francisco 2008

Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #51
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

BUMP!

I'm looking for a good, reliable and feature-rich GPS system and from all the reviews I've read Garmin is the winner. I'm looking to get the nuvi 760 as that seems to be pretty cheap sold at dealers like Wal-Mart and Amazon compared to the retail price. Has anyone else bought a Garmin and uses it with a Mac that enjoys it? Or are people still recommending we go elsewhere for GPS systems?
Khryz is offline   0
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:59 PM   #52
chickenlegs
macrumors member

Garmin and the Mac

Khryz, I have a fairly old (in GPS years) Garmin StreetPilot 2610 which I use on a motorbike and sometimes in the car. I hated Bobcat to start with as the early versions were very unstable and constantly crashed. I now love it as it has been updated and improved. It works perfectly on my iMac and picks up the GPS via usb without any trouble. I would love to get a more current GPS and would always choose Garmin, but I cannot justify it from a financial point of view as the StreetPilot is perfectly fine for me and when coupled with Bobcat, works flawlessly.
Chris
chickenlegs is offline   0
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:43 PM   #53
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

I'm finally getting some use out of the Bobcat software. The unadvertised trick is getting the map update file installed. Only the most recent (2008) map package is Mac compatible and you will probably end up buying it from Garmin. If you don't happen to be entitled to a free update, then it's expensive. Be prepared to fork over -- otherwise, the Bobcat software is utterly useless. Once you get over that hump (by luck only really, since Garmin makes no effort to explain any of this), then you are introduced the few joys of Bobcat. Most of the functions of Bobcat are slow and awkward. Copying points and routes to the GPS should be a clear and straight-forward process, but it isn't. Deleting data you've copied to the GPS is a puzzling matter at best.

BTW, the GPS does not come with a USB cable. Naturally Garmin's accessory cable costs a fortune. But fortunately I stumbled on an excellent and unbelievably inexpensive alternative, which I will be happy to share if anyone wants to know.

The GPS is fine. The software needs work.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:24 PM   #54
RaceTripper
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post

BTW, the GPS does not come with a USB cable. Naturally Garmin's accessory cable costs a fortune. But fortunately I stumbled on an excellent and unbelievably inexpensive alternative, which I will be happy to share if anyone wants to know.
My Nuvi 760 came with a USB cable, but regardless, a regular USB to Mini USB cable (like the ones for the portable hard drives) works just fine. It's not a special cable otherwise.
RaceTripper is offline   0
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:15 PM   #55
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

First I've heard that. I don't know if the same is true for the nuvi 260 I bought. I found a guy on the net who makes the cables custom. Sells them for $5.00, post paid.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:37 AM   #56
RaceTripper
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
First I've heard that. I don't know if the same is true for the nuvi 260 I bought. I found a guy on the net who makes the cables custom. Sells them for $5.00, post paid.
I've used a regular mini USB cable that came with my WD portable drive. There really is nothing special about it. But $5 isn't bad to pay for a cable anyway.
RaceTripper is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:26 AM   #57
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I've used a regular mini USB cable that came with my WD portable drive. There really is nothing special about it. But $5 isn't bad to pay for a cable anyway.
Actually he sells them "shareware" -- you get to pay whatever you think the cable is worth. You pledge a certain amount through his web site (he recommends $5 but it's up to you), then he mails you the cable with a self-addressed envelope, which you use to mail back your pledge. This guy is an internet hero in my book.

http://www.pfranc.com/Garmin-USB-Cables/
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:23 AM   #58
ned
macrumors newbie

garmin roadtrip

I have just downloaded road trip. the problem is when i connect my gps, roadtrip wont see the gps. has anyone else had this problem
ned is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:50 AM   #59
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Does it mount on the desktop as an external drive?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 07:32 AM   #60
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Here's a good link for any Garmin Mac users:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331421

I've been following this for a while, hoping things might get "easy"...
knucklehead is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives > Macworld San Francisco 2008