Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
How do I download a video someone has posted on Facebook?
Thanks

MegaMillions

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
in safari go to window then activity
look for the largest file in the window that pops up
double click it to save
then use isquint (available for free online) to change it into a usable format

For me it worked to just get the URL from the activity window, and just paste it into the safari downloads window. It downloaded it as a quicktime .mp4 video.

d2LiL

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
I got it t work by doing the following:

1. Load the web page with the Facebook video you want to download and click the play button.

2. In Safari, go to Window > Activity.

3. Look for the largest file in the listing (it usually ends in .mp4) and double click it. That should launch a new Safari window that shows just the video.

4. If you look at the URL in the new window, the URL should now end in .mp4. Now copy the entire URL.

5. In Safari, go to Window > Downloads.

6. With the Downloads window in focus, press cmd + V (paste), and the video should start downloading.

Happy downloading!

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

1. Load the web page with the Facebook video you want to download and click the play button.

3. Look for the largest file in the listing (it usually ends in .mp4) and double click it. That should launch a new Safari window that shows just the video.

4. If you look at the URL in the new window, the URL should now end in .mp4. Now copy the entire URL.

6. With the Downloads window in focus, press cmd + V (paste), and the video should start downloading.

Happy downloading!

The last post was nearly a year ago dog.

d2LiL

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
The last post was nearly a year ago dog.

I did notice that, however, it was one of the top hits on Google when I searched for it so I thought I would let others know how in case they were in the same situation I was in. Just trying to help others dog.

mikebedford1

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
video message

Ive been trying to download a video message i have sent... i went to the activity page but there was no mp4 and nothing at all with a size over 1mb... its very frustrating... any ideas?

thanks!

bcrichaseem

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
activity window doesnt say which file is largest

Happy downloading!

the activity window doesnt say which file is largest and wen i double click the video name in the window nothing happens..... can some1 please help! its rly important!!

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
the activity window doesnt say which file is largest and wen i double click the video name in the window nothing happens..... can some1 please help! its rly important!!

The video link should be displayed in that window. Look carefully, its easy to miss it. Before the video starts playing, make sure the Activity window is open. Press play on the video and then look for a link that shows "#KB of #MB" for example. That would indicate that the video is buffering. Double-Click that link and it should download.

Other than that, there are Plugins made for Firefox that will automatically download Facebook Videos for you:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Facebook-Video.shtml

ideletemyself

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010

Happy downloading!

Listen, to who ever told this guy this post was like years old... ****, why let us ALL go digging for something that old when a very nice fellow has the instructions RIGHT HERE?!? :mad:

Sheez, and thanks for the instructions they worked like a charm! :)

kayla1992

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
This doesn't work anymore either...I just tried saving a video and the .mp4 was in the middle of the link, so my guess is Facebook caught on to this and tried stopping it, has anyone got a way to get around it? I took a screenshot for you guys to get an idea...Also same problem with trying to save a video my friend posted/recorded on my wall. Any help??

Attachments

• Screen shot.png
    Screen shot.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 878

jerry2011

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
download facebook videos

It seems that i got the same issues as u, my common method to resolve this question is use some supporting softare to get things done, u can search some free application that can download facebook videos in the internet, it might get some help.:)

bobseverns

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
no need to paste into downloads bar

Once you have the Activity window selected, simply press the "option" key and double-click the video file's URL (usually the largest file). It will automatically download for you. Option-Doubleclicking saves a step.

jjbankhead

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
central valley california

Happy downloading!

Tried this and when i open activity it shows me the webpage not the file. when i click on it it simply brings the page up and there is no option to download.

I have also tried copying the URL and pasting it in DL's but when i open the file it is the FB page sans video.

unikhilya

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
dunno

Happy downloading!

My safari doesn't have 'activity' and 'download' on it's 'window' :( Help meee!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 8.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 8.04.28 PM.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 1,333
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.