Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iglio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
CT
Is there any way that I get .avi to play in itunes, I would like this so I can get my dvd's of prison break, which I used handbrake to get into my computer, which I now want to use to watch on my train rides on my ipod =D. Sorry if this has been posted, or if it worded incorrectley. Thank you Mac Forumee's!! O and sorry to add this but I do not want to have to pay for this.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Why not rip them with handbrake to an mpg file? That is the way that I've always done it.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
If you just want to build your library in iTunes to watch on your computer you can create either a QuickTime Media Link file (this creates a small KB MOV file which links to the AVI file) or you can create a QuickTime reference file (this creates a small MB MOV file which links to the AVI file). The difference between them being meta data cannot be added to the QT Link file, whereas you can with the QT Ref file.

To play on your iPod you must convert the AVI to an iPod compatible MP4/MPEG file.

Apparently VisualHub is great for this. You can also use QuickTime Pro. There's also VideoDrive. I'm sure there are others.

i.maverick

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
somewhere I belong
If you just want to build your library in iTunes to watch on your computer you can create either a QuickTime Media Link file (this creates a small KB MOV file which links to the AVI file) or you can create a QuickTime reference file (this creates a small MB MOV file which links to the AVI file). The difference between them being meta data cannot be added to the QT Link file, whereas you can with the QT Ref file.

To play on your iPod you must convert the AVI to an iPod compatible MP4/MPEG file.

Apparently VisualHub is great for this. You can also use QuickTime Pro. There's also VideoDrive. I'm sure there are others.

dude great tip. something i have wanted but then forgot about it. funny though that you have to sign up for an ADC membership to download makerefmovie.dmg from apple.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
dude great tip. something i have wanted but then forgot about it. funny though that you have to sign up for an ADC membership to download makerefmovie.dmg from apple.
Don't need makerefmovie.dmg for make QT Media Links.

VideoDrive will do it although it's not freeware. Or there's Movie2iTunes which is free. Just drag a folder to the icon, selected a location for the files and it will make the media link and automatically add to iTunes. Remember however you cannot add meta data/artwork to the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.