Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
Hi,

We use final cut pro 5.0.1. One of us has updated to 5.0.4, the other one still on 5.0.1

If we try to open an existing project file on the 504 machine, we get a general error (no number). The project file is not corrupt, it still opens on the 501 machine. We already trashed the prefs, didn't help. The harddisk authorization is open. On the 504 machine we can make new projects and save it, we can import quicktime files from the old project. it all works, except... the old project file.

No clues left, I already searched some fora, didn't find anything (tells something about me perhaps ;-)

Hope someone has the answer...

Txs!!!

Richard

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That's strange. Usually FCP tells you that your project was being created with an older version of FCP (in this case 5.0.1) if you open it in a more up-to-date version (5.0.4).
It the lets you decide to save it again as an 5.0.4 project, but which cannot be opened again on any version lower than the 5.0.4 one.

Have you tried saving as in 5.0.1 and then opening it in 5.0.4?

And are you sure, it is this way around and not vice versa? That would actually make more sense (trying to open the project in 5.0.1 while it has come from 5.0.4).

Maybe an update to 5.0.4 on the 5.0.1 machine could work, but be sure to back up the original project file (once every day is my principle).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I've run into the same bug where an 'old' project would not open up in a 'new' version of FCP. Open up the project in the 5.0.1 machine, export it as an XML, open up that XML in the 5.0.4 machine and you should be good to go.

Lethal

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
solved

Yes, solved :)

Apparantly the updater didn't find the FCP Documents directory, so it created one.

But one were two...

It ended with two FCP Documents directories on the system. After trashing one, the system worked again.

So we guess that the system went general error when seeing two FCP docs directories. Don't ask me why.

Pfff :)

Check it out:
http://www.theaterooginoog.nl
trailer available after sept 28th

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
thank you! :D that issue was driving me crazy as well!

Yes, solved :)

Apparantly the updater didn't find the FCP Documents directory, so it created one.

But one were two...

It ended with two FCP Documents directories on the system. After trashing one, the system worked again.

So we guess that the system went general error when seeing two FCP docs directories. Don't ask me why.

Pfff :)

Check it out:
http://www.theaterooginoog.nl
trailer available after sept 28th

chrisvince

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
I am also having this problem...

what are you supposed to do? delete one of the final cut docs folder?

I'm confused...:(

Chris

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
Hi Chris,

Yes, delete one of the fcp folders. The system gets confused if it detects two folders. (Save the contents first, or rename it on your desktop or something like that...) Perhaps you have some off-line content after the move, but that is easily corrected.

Good luck, Richard

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hello Richard,

i dont know if you are still around - but i am having this problem using the latest FCP suite. i have completely removed the "Final Cut Pro Documents" from ~/Documents, and i have even changed my scratch disk however this has not worked for me.

any additional ideas? apparently the error could also refer to running out of memory or something?

thanks.

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
Hi DoFoT9,

Yes, I'm still around, I even got a mail about a new post. You have to specify more information.
  • Has this problem been there from the beginning or after a change?
  • Do you still have one scratch location (Final Cut Pro Documents with subdirectories)?
  • Any other programms installed after which the problems started?
  • Do the other programms in the FCS suite work correctly?
  • Etc??

The problem described was FCP5 (I currently work with FCP7/studio3 suite) going wild when discovering two directories 'Final Cut Pro Documents'. Youre system needs at least one scratch location.

Do you get a general error? That can mean about anything... You can check the memory usage with the activity utility. But I run FCP (and motion/color/soundtrack) succesfully on a 2008 macbookpro with 2Gb (SD resolution)

Grtz

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi DoFoT9,

Yes, I'm still around, I even got a mail about a new post. You have to specify more information.
  • Has this problem been there from the beginning or after a change?
  • Do you still have one scratch location (Final Cut Pro Documents with subdirectories)?
  • Any other programms installed after which the problems started?
  • Do the other programms in the FCS suite work correctly?
  • Etc??

The problem described was FCP5 (I currently work with FCP7/studio3 suite) going wild when discovering two directories 'Final Cut Pro Documents'. Youre system needs at least one scratch location.

Do you get a general error? That can mean about anything... You can check the memory usage with the activity utility. But I run FCP (and motion/color/soundtrack) succesfully on a 2008 macbookpro with 2Gb (SD resolution)

Grtz

Richardthe4th,

Thanks very much for a swift reply! To answer your questions.

• This is the first time I have opened FC7 in about 5 months - I've never had the issue before. I started a new project.
• When I started I did, however I followed your advise and created a new scratch on an external disk this morning (I also did all of these steps
• No, not from what I've noticed (I only have DVD SP installed)
• DVD SP works fine.

The error I get is the "general error" when rendering the sequence for playback, it happens no matter what render settings I choose.

RAM is not an issue, I have 12GB and 6GB currently free. I have 650GB spare HDD space on the boot drive and the 2nd scratch disk I chose has +200GB free.

I installed the latest Final Cut updates through System Updater in OSX - this hasn't fixed the issues. I haven't restarted in 45days, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Ideas?

Thanks

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
Hi,

Fuzzy problem. Just general ideas for a 'general error'...

It seems to have to do with the rendering. I understand the rest works fine.

The only things I can come up with are:
-problems with the specific render directory?
-a specific format/codec you are using for the first time, perhaps is this specific codec not installed of corrupt?

Have you tried opening an old project and render that? Try to render audio only, or video only and see what happens.

Really no ideas left. Perhaps somebody else. If all else fails, reinstall??

Good luck

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi,

Fuzzy problem. Just general ideas for a 'general error'...

It seems to have to do with the rendering. I understand the rest works fine.

The only things I can come up with are:
-problems with the specific render directory?
-a specific format/codec you are using for the first time, perhaps is this specific codec not installed of corrupt?

Have you tried opening an old project and render that? Try to render audio only, or video only and see what happens.

Really no ideas left. Perhaps somebody else. If all else fails, reinstall??

Good luck

I did not consider rendering individually - just giving that a go now.

I have used these two codecs before, the sources are from an iMac and MBPs iSight - you would assume highly compatible!

I will wait for this render, if it fails i will try a different (older) project. If that fails, I'll reinstall *sigh*.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Update: I have used QuickTime 7 Pro to export the 2 movies to a .dv container (lossless conversion) - FCP is now happily rendering at 83%, before it never went past 8%! I think it should be ok now, ended up being a codec issue :(

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Update: I have used QuickTime 7 Pro to export the 2 movies to a .dv container (lossless conversion) - FCP is now happily rendering at 83%, before it never went past 8%! I think it should be ok now, ended up being a codec issue :(

Do you use the same settings for the sequence settings as you do with the clip(s)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.