Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Im looking at some of my older stuff on iTunes and each track from the same album has a different kbps.

What have I been ripping these at, I cant work it out?

Thanks

ajo

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
thats what I thought, but there is no VBR next to it like on others that I have done.

When I look at the info, it says ive used AAC, but why is it different for each track?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
thats what I thought, but there is no VBR next to it like on others that I have done.

When I look at the info, it says ive used AAC, but why is it different for each track?

That is apparently what AAC + VBR does. Lets say you choose 192 Kbit AAC + VBR. What VBR _should_ do is analyse the complete song, then encode hard parts with more than 192 KBit, easy parts with less than 192 KBit, aiming at an average of exactly 192 KBit (this would make it sound slightly better than 192 KBit fixed and use exactly the same space, using a bit more encoding time). Apparently it just encodes to _at least_ 192 KBit. That way, all songs will come out in exactly the same quality, no matter whether they were hard or easy to encode, but the hard ones take more space. The number displayed could be the average bitrate for that song, so each will have a different number.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I have been re ripping to find out and I cant find anything that matches what I already have, the sizes and kbps are all different.

Could it be that the newer iTunes does it sligtly different, for better or worse?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I have been re ripping to find out and I cant find anything that matches what I already have, the sizes and kbps are all different.

Could it be that the newer iTunes does it sligtly different, for better or worse?

There was a bug in a previous version of iTunes (7.5, I believe) that displayed these different bitrates.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
That must be it then.

....although, saying that, im using the latest iTunes, so has this bug been carried over, as it is now that I am noticeing the different kbps.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Any tracks that were imported that version of iTunes will continue to display the varied bitrates. The only solution is to re-import them with a newer version of iTunes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.