Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well;
I had these pesty adware pop-ups 2-3 weeks ago, this was in my Mountain biking club website (and others), and yes I was using Firefox with pop-up blockers on:
MMBA%20PopUpAd.jpg

I got latest version of Norton Antivirus, loaded it last night, started with the "Scan entire system" manual option.
Well;
It kept on scanning and scanning like the energizer bunny, I finally stopped it.
Here is shows "over-scanning" the 1.7x million files, when I stopped it earlier it was on 20.x million scans and not stopped.
ScanEntireSyetem.jpg

When I manually scan any other org structure except the computer name, system or library, it scans them very quickly.
The root user name had over 700,000 files, and those scanned in a few short minutes.

So, a known bug in Norton Antivirus?

The reason I'm using Norton Antivirus in the first place is my computer has been acting sluggish on loading web pages, I have a separate thread here on that, so I was making sure no spyware/adware stuff present.
Help: 24" Alum iMac internet connection wired vs wireless

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I would never install Norton on a Mac to begin with.

I've had far too many headaches with antivirus software on OS X compared to the actual value of it.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well;

Norton did find 5 "issues", see below.
I'm not sure what this means, however all I can say is my "other issue", slow web pages, appears to be solved immediately after this was "fixed".
Help: 24" Alum iMac internet connection wired vs wireless
Both FireFox and Safari now load snappy quick.

Any explain from the experts here what the heck is going on??
And why a virus would affect my wired connection and not wireless???
(from my other thread)
I thought OSX was "bullet proof", so I've never used any anti-virus stuff since going to OSX from OS9 back in the day, now.......

(ha, it's 1:30am, I gotta get my butt to bed)
NortonResults.jpg

bytodaystandrds

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
Mr. OP
1)Man, give your Mac a break and uninstall this piece of c%4p that's been called Norton AV... there should be an uninstaller in the package...

2)Tell your mountain biking club's webmaster that there is something wrong with his website... he should go and check the whole installation- it could be that he got a trojan.

3)If you really feel safer with something called Antivirus on your HD, go check out ClamXav.This guy is doing his best to offer a working and free solution for your needs and he'd be happy to get a small donation instead of giving your money away to Norton Corps. in order to lie to you "having viruses on your mac"...

Cheers!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Have you checked your DNS settings?

I've never really done anything "special" to my Apple Airport router settings, quick lookup at apple support gives the below info, I'll check at home (at work lunch now), but I believe its at default/factory settings:confused::confused:
should I do something special/more "virus proof"?:
Editing DNS and search domain settings

Editing DNS and search domain settings

You can use Domain Name System (DNS) servers and search domains to avoid typing the complete address of Internet domains you use frequently.

DNS is the way Internet domain names are located and translated into Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

The search domains you enter in your Network preferences are automatically appended to names you type in Internet applications.

For example, if you specify the search domain apple.com, typing “store” in your web browser takes you to store.apple.com. Or, if you use campus.university.edu as a search domain, you can type “server1” in the Finder’s Connect To Server dialog to connect to server1.campus.university.edu.
To enter a DNS server address and search domains:
Step 1

Choose Apple > System Preferences, and then click Network.
Step 2

Select the network connection service you want to use (such as AirPort or Ethernet, unless you named it something else) from the list, and then click Advanced.
Step 3

Click DNS, and then click Add (+) at the bottom of the DNS Servers list. Enter the IPv4 or IPv6 address for the DNS server.

Click Add (+) at the bottom of the Search Domain list and enter the search domain, apple.com for example.
Step 4

When you’re finished, click OK.

Domains are searched in the order you list them, and the search stops when a valid name is found.

To search a name hierarchy, use search domains of varying scope. For example: building.campus.university.edu, campus.university.edu, university.edu.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Mr. OP

2)Tell your mountain biking club's webmaster that there is something wrong with his website... he should go and check the whole installation- it could be that he got a trojan.

Cheers!

I actually did that and he said it was on my side (I'm a 10 year member of the biking group and a regular there), plus I got pop-up ads when I visited quite a few other web sites.

Again, I thought MacOSX was bullet proof to these, and FireFox pop-up blocker still let them thru.....

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I actually did that and he said it was on my side (I'm a 10 year member of the biking group and a regular there), plus I got pop-up ads when I visited quite a few other web sites.

Again, I thought MacOSX was bullet proof to these, and FireFox pop-up blocker still let them thru.....
Sadly the user isn't bulletproof. Then again there are plenty exploits that hang around too long involving internet plug-ins. Just be careful on what you click.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sadly the user isn't bulletproof. Then again there are plenty exploits that hang around too long involving internet plug-ins. Just be careful on what you click.

Not just click on, but what you accept to install.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Not just click on, but what you accept to install.

Well;
My wife and I don't click on those ad's , and of course we'd never accept some "offer".
However, it is entirely possibly my 6 year old or 4 year old did.
We have made their own login accounts with time limits/specific web sites they can go to, but sometimes we leave the computer login to "parents" and I've caught them surfing disney.com/other.

We've since made sure we logout when leaving, I'll have to see if there is some inactivity logout timer to further enhance that possibility from happening.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Did you give your kids an Admin account or limited?

As far as I'm aware, trojans like those will only muck up your system or change your DNS stuff if you enter your password to install it.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
As has already been said - the best way to cure problems with Nortons is to delete it - its totally unnecessary on a Mac :)

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Uninstall Norton and install Adblock for firefox. Problem solved.

Norton, for both mac and pc, is one of the worst products ever made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.