Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DT1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Hi there. I think I may have posted this thread in the wrong place originally! I'm something of a Mac newbie. A friend asked me to change the screen on their Macbook after it had been dropped. I have since changed the screen somewhat successfully...

However after the screen lights up initially it goes very dark again after turning the Macbook on. You can see the desktop and things but it is so dark its useless. I have tried to fiddle with the brightness settings and interestingly, the screen lights up normally for about two seconds, then goes dark again. So because the screen does appear as it should briefly, I am at a complete loss whether it is hardware or software related! The fact that the screen does appear normally, although briefly, makes me think that all plugs/cables are in correctly etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going wrong? Any help would be great appreciated! I really don't want to have to take it to bits again!

Cheers.

John

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I don't know if it's hard- or software related, but have you tried running the hardware test?

The reason I'm asking, is that you're describing how the backlighting is shut down. Whether that shutdown is caused by some software "feature" overreacting or some hardware fault making the software doing it, I have no idea. My bet would the latter, though.

Edit: Btw, kudos to you for even trying that. I tossed my tibook out when the screen broke. I didn't even want to try exchanging it. :)

JRSimmons

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
UK
Thought I'd repost in this thread, and hope someone replies, rather than startup a new thread.

I've got the same problem as above, ever since replacing the screen. What I've found however, is that if you put the screen brightness to zero, plug the power cable in, and as soon as the light turns green - turn the brightness up, the screen remains bright.
Otherwise it lasts around 4 seconds then goes dark. Regardless of the brightness setting.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

JRSimmons

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
UK
Tried the reset procedure - I've done as is said on apple.com, although how do i know it's reset? anyway still the same.

It's been like it for the last 6 months, so it basically requires a power supply whenever turning it on.
I've thought maybe it could need hardware replaced, however the backlight does work if brightened from zero to max while the green light is on, on the charger - So the backlight does work, it just won't remain bright if mobile from sleep. Bit of a weird problem.

I could take it back, however I've had the screen replaced (and its only done it since) so surely this will void any chances of repair under warranty?
FYI Its a 2ghz Macbook - around 18 months old.

ETA: Checked youtube.com and found a problem with MBP's similar to this - I noticed that there is an abnormal buzzing noise when brightness is turned from 10% - 90% If brightness is on full, buzzing disappears.

bunnymix

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Make sure that the inverter cable is not being pinched in the left hinge on the macbook top lid.

I have the same problem with the black screen...my boyfriends audio plug-in broke of and got stuck into his laptop. He can't live without music so I did a google-search to see if there was somebody else with the same problem and lucky for us there was. I told my boyfriend what to do but he was impatient to really try to get that thing out and told me it was impossible to get it out so I believed him and told him to open the macbook, I remembered it wasn't that hard. (I play around with my pc when it's needed but you can't compare it with a mac) So he opened it up and it was pretty hard to lift up the top cover, the keyboard. I asked him if he could see if it was easy to get to the audio-in but he said he couldn't see so we try to open it some more. We tried for a long time and finally when I tried it myself it got open. I was curious as hell to see how the inside looked like. As I expected it was not easy to fix that audio thing, I didn't know what to do so I figured I just leave it alone. Tried to put back the cover and put back the screws in, first my boyfriend did but he was very impatient so I did. It took me a long time because he put some of the screws wrong and I had to fix it and I didn't succeed in taking out one of the screws that was placed wrong.

But now (sorry for the long story), the screen is black, could it be that the inverter cable got pinched? I'm a little scared to open it up again, my boyfriend is lying on the bed right now being a little desperate, luckily he fell asleep. If he wasn't there I opened it up again, but he just makes me nervous right now. I probably have to open it up again (I used the ifixit page by the way) to see if it's pinched but it probably could be broken now. The Apple Store Repair Boy is really expensive. €85 for starting and then some more, b*sterds.

bunnymix

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
I'm going to try and open it again....if anyone reads this, wish me luck. And if you have some useful advice besides going to the apple store please let me know. Still, feel free to say go to the apple store if you want.

bunnymix

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Well, the inverter was out of it's socked, I pushed it back in. Put the screws back and tadaaaa, the screen is back online! My boyfriend was really happy when I decided to try again. And now he is even happier, yay!

But the audio-jack is still stuck...and the cd/dvd player is not what it used to be, crap...

DT1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Well I'm pleased to say my dark screen problem was also from a broken inverter. Once replaced, all was well. :)

I hope this helps you guys and gals having trouble!

:cool:

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Well, the inverter was out of it's socked, I pushed it back in. Put the screws back and tadaaaa, the screen is back online! My boyfriend was really happy when I decided to try again. And now he is even happier, yay!

But the audio-jack is still stuck...and the cd/dvd player is not what it used to be, crap...

congrats .

audio port fix ....a tooth pick of all things

http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@@.3cbbb6b2/8

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
congrats .

audio port fix ....a tooth pick of all things

http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@@.3cbbb6b2/8

That is the fix for a stuck headphone socket (stuck on digital output...).
The problem here is a mini-jack that has broken off in the socket - the fix seems to be to superglue something (matchstick, old small screwdriver) to the end of the broken-off plug. Leave the glue to dry and then pull out the snapped-off plug ...

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
That is the fix for a stuck headphone socket (stuck on digital output...).
The problem here is a mini-jack that has broken off in the socket - the fix seems to be to superglue something (matchstick, old small screwdriver) to the end of the broken-off plug. Leave the glue to dry and then pull out the snapped-off plug ...

Ah right ...missed that ....yeah the glue thing sounds as good a plan as any.

newbiewithmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
My screen went dark in the middle of something

So yesterday I was doing some research online, when all of a sudden my Macbook's screen went dark! Too dark that it was impossible to see what was on the screen. The next day I turned it on and it was still too dark, useless!
My solution: while it was on, I pressed the power bottom for 10 seconds to turn it off completely, then unplugged the cable, removed the battery, and waited 5 mins. Then I put back the battery and turned it on, and IT WORKED fine again!

Hope this can help some of you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.