Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crown16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hi,

I have a imac with leopard on it and i want to fax. We just got this new fax/printer/some other stuff thing. and i wanted to try and send a fax from my mac to the fax machine. my mac is connected to internet via wifi. i have adsl. I just opend a random pdf file i had and went to file>print>pdfpopup>fax pdf i typed our phone number and sent it. but my fax never received it. so i checked google which directed me to apple.com which told me the fax would be sent when i disconnected form internet..? i did and still no go... what am i doing wrong?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Okay...when you send a fax using your new All-In-One machine, that machine sends the fax...so that machine can't be the one receiving it. That machine is like any other fax machine in the way it sends the fax, it's just that it has a new feature that lets you send a fax without putting in a piece of paper that it scans.

That out of the way, I don't think you need to disconnect from the internet to send a fax. And my experience with a computer sending a fax (with my HP OfficeJet) is pretty unreliable at best.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I used to fax from my Mac with OS 8 back in the day when I had dial-up. Faxing was easy and reliable. Now I have a fax machine, so I have not tried using the computer for that. For sure you cannot fax from a computer connected to a dial-up modem to a fax machine in your house connected to the same phone line. To accomplish that, you would need two separate phone lines.

Since I have not used my cable modem to fax, I cannot offer any advice about broadband faxing.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I am going to try to break this down a bit.
(and as stated already)
Okay...when you send a fax using your new All-In-One machine, that machine sends the fax...so that machine can't be the one receiving it.

Your iMac is connected WiFi to the internet.. yes?
Your AIO (all in one) is connected to your iMac.. yes?
You ran through the steps and entered a phone number.. yes?

(the million dollar question here)
Where is your phone line to dial out the number you entered connected to?

If it's to the AIO then are you using the supplied software to send the fax?

DianeL19

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
Your iMac is connected WiFi to the internet.. yes?
Your AIO (all in one) is connected to your iMac.. yes?
You ran through the steps and entered a phone number.. yes?
If it's to the AIO then are you using the supplied software to send the fax?
These are two confused replies from sammich and kkat69. Read people, (sammich and kkat69) before trying to answer a question! The AIO is the iMac. He is trying to fax from the iMac to a stand alone fax machine.

Crown16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Your iMac is connected WiFi to the internet.. yes
Your AIO (all in one) is connected to your iMac. No The AIO is seperatly connected to the phone line.
You ran through the steps and entered a phone number.. yes

(the million dollar question here)
We have ADSL which means we have a phone and internet line. An I sent the fax from my mac. with my mac. de fax machine is NOT connected..
the AIO is not connected to any computer, it is connected to a phoneline. that it. hope i cleared it up a bit:p[/QUOTE]

Crown16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
These are two confused replies from sammich and kkat69. Read people, (sammich and kkat69) before trying to answer a question! The AIO is the iMac. He is trying to fax from the iMac to a stand alone fax machine.

Almost right. the standalone fax machine is tha AIO... and the mac is seperate. so i tried to send a fax from my mac(only connected to the internet via wifi) to the AIO(fax) in my house which is connected to a phone line.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

I read and understood his post quite well no thank you very much and the same back at you, your only half right in your attempt to bash. My post was not a confussed one but more of a troubleshooting question session in an attempt to help the OP not a bash thread like yours. Now that we've eliminated the sensless postings on to the original question...

Almost right. the standalone fax machine is tha AIO... and the mac is seperate. so i tried to send a fax from my mac(only connected to the internet via wifi) to the AIO(fax) in my house which is connected to a phone line.

Here's the thing Crown. Regardless of DSL or cable, your iMac is connected to a 'network' via wifi.

So, hoping you can see the fax and I assume you can (from your description) it sounds like it should work. However, I would suggest looking at the manufacturer's site for any OS X specific drivers applications that might help with remote faxing. Straight faxing (not using the supplied printer software) will attempt to send a fax through a phone modem which it will look for on the Mac.

What AIO do you have?

Crown16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I read and understood his post quite well no thank you very much and the same back at you, your only half right in your attempt to bash. My post was not a confussed one but more of a troubleshooting question session in an attempt to help the OP not a bash thread like yours. Now that we've eliminated the sensless postings on to the original question...

Here's the thing Crown. Regardless of DSL or cable, your iMac is connected to a 'network' via wifi.

So, hoping you can see the fax and I assume you can (from your description) it sounds like it should work. However, I would suggest looking at the manufacturer's site for any OS X specific drivers applications that might help with remote faxing. Straight faxing (not using the supplied printer software) will attempt to send a fax through a phone modem which it will look for on the Mac.

What AIO do you have?

the thing is we dont have a ''network'' too much hassle + mac pc and stuff. so every computer (mac or pc) is connected to the same router/modem via wifi or cable. the AIO is a lexmark x 8350 i believe

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I don't believe there is anyway to receive a fax on the same machine you send it from. The Mac has to use the AIO to send the fax, it can't send it by wifi ( well easy or cheap ) The AIO is the only thing you have connected to the phone line, so your Mac tells your AIO to send the fax. I bet if you try to send a fax to another fax machine at a different phone number you will find your machine is working.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
so noone here was able to help yu i see...Now i am in teh same situationa nd din't think it was right to start up anew thread with the same question can you fax with macosx? without an all in one or fax machine hooke dup to it?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
First off, lemme say I think all of us including myself probably failed to see the OP's true intention.

To "FAX" from the Mac (unless you have some special software to interface with your 'all in one') you'll need a "MODEM."

Otherwise, you'll use your All in One and use the keypad/scanner on it to actually send the fax and it HAS to be connected to a phone line (connection is usually in the back).

Some machines have an interface on the computer you can use but most do not. Consult your guide to see if it mentions it.

so noone here was able to help yu i see...Now i am in teh same situationa nd din't think it was right to start up anew thread with the same question can you fax with macosx? without an all in one or fax machine hooke dup to it?

As stated above, to fax without any extra all in one device or fax device, you'll need a modem. Yes you can fax but (as stated above) you'll need a modem.

There are (or used to be) 3rd party websites that'll send the fax out for you (for a fee or you might find one free... google it) but in order to do it locally, you'll have to get a modem. It's a small adapter plug you can get directly from Apple, or get a 3rd party compatible USB modem device. All considering you don't have a modem built in :eek: to your machine. I know mine (sig) does not have a modem and have to purchase one.

kennyli

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hong Kong
1) Buy a USB modem from Apple Store. The price is about US$40

2) Plug the USB modem to your iMac. Than you will have some fax software installed automatically

3) Plug your phone line (not wifi) to the USB modem

4) Enjoy faxing with your iMac

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
After you connect the modem to your Mac, keep in mind that the intention from your original post of faxing from the Mac to the AIO will only work if each are connected to an individual phone number (line). If the Mac and AIO are using the same phone #, no can do! It would be like trying to call your cellphone number from your cellphone! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.