Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
So I bought a new fourth gen iPod nano yesterday. I have iTunes 8.0.1, and the iPod nano firmware is 1.0.2, the latest available for this model. No matter how I sync it (either automatically or manually), iTunes will reject the nano, ejecting it. And when this happens, I get two prompts. The first is the standard "Device Removal" error, and the other says something about the Music folder not having proper permissions. However, this can't be true, as every other iPhone and iPod I own (the iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano 3G, etc.) all sync perfectly.

I've restored the iPod to factory settings and it's still happening. I know some people are having issues with the nano resetting while it's being used, but this issue is the opposite. It resets or somehow ejects itself while being synced. Using the iPod nano itself, I've had no issues.

OldLadywithiPod

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Quillz - I've had this happen to me with my new shuffle. It will not sync with one of my shuffle USB cables and is very prissy about synching in general. (The shuffle uses a special set-up to accomodate synching through the headphone port).

So, Old Lady would suggest:

(1) you check the USB cable you're using in case it's faulty

and

(2) it's possible the internal synching connection inside your Nano is faulty. And one way to find out is to try synching with a new USB cable.

My 2 -cents, for what it's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.