Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainMeister

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
The 4G Nano seems to be unpopular among those who have purchased them.

Shorter battery life, accelerometer-related issues, incompatibility with existing iPod accessories, etc.

So should I get the 3G, which are still available new and being heavily discounted?

Let me know your opinions.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
It's up to your needs.

If the 3G Nano does all that you want and you don't really have a need for the 4G features, then get the 3G.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I just returned my 4g Nano due to a defective click wheel. I'm glad I got my money back. My 3g Nano, which I still own, feels nicer in hand and the screen, being horizontally orientated, is easier and nicer to read and look at. Also, it fits much better in the small change pocket found on most jeans. The new features that the 4g offers are gimmicks, in my opinion. The only thing I will miss is the extra memory capacity. I may just go get another 3g while they are still available. I'll have, essentially, double the capacity and battery life when I go on a month long holiday very soon.
I was expecting a better experience when I bought the 4g. I have owned an iPod Mini and every Nano and liked each one better than its predecessor, but the 4g was a let down.
In my opinion, unless you really need 16GB, get the 3g.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
The main reason I waited for a 4G was for the additional storage. Otherwise, I would have picked up a refurb 3G. I haven't had any issues with the 4G, but if you don't need the extra memory, I don't think the other features would really be worth the price difference.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
There are many players out there that would be better buys than the 4G Nano. The Zune 8gb and 16gb players are the same price, yet throw in FM radio and WIFI. The Samsung T10 has a slew of animated UIs to choose from, Bluetooth, FM radio with recording, mic with recording, and more. I have all three, and I pick up my 4G Nano least often.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Depends on how much video-watching you do. I find the return to the old form factor better, since the most I might do with the Nano videowise is to peek at a video podcast. I do wish I could just turn the accelerometer off though at times.

fazox

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2007
There are many players out there that would be better buys than the 4G Nano. The Zune 8gb and 16gb players are the same price, yet throw in FM radio and WIFI. The Samsung T10 has a slew of animated UIs to choose from, Bluetooth, FM radio with recording, mic with recording, and more. I have all three, and I pick up my 4G Nano least often.
BLASPHEMER!:eek:;)
Picture1-5.jpg

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
As standalone players many of the non-iPod alternatives are better in many ways. There's also the new Sony's which are great, and the feature-loaded Cowons too (both also works as drag & drop players in OS X)

The problem for me at least, and probably for many others is the two-way player syncing. Only the Zune does two-way reliably from what I know for non-iPods and it's pretty important for me. There are also other aspects such as accessory compatibility / availability - which in my experience, the more you use a player the more the lack of it (i.e. every non-iPod) annoys. The 4G still works with standard docks, and audio accessories using them so I'm not seeing a problem.

If you've never used playcounts - there may be a better players for your buck: I'm partial to Sony. If you use Windows - there's the Zune, which is getting very good reviews from those brave enough to deviate from the herd but not necessarily in the ubergeek crowd. But the iPods aren't exactly bad, are very usable, have the aforesaid two-way and sound better than the 'they sound terrible' nerdiophiles make them out to be, so I'm fine with them for now.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
BLASPHEMER!:eek:;)
LOL! Yep, it may seem that way. I've got an 8gb Touch and a black 4th gen Nano. I bought my wife a 16gb Touch and green 3rd and 4th gen Nanos. She prefers the green of the new one. The difference between her and I is that I buy them to compare. As such I can pick up any of 15 different players to listen to, and I tend to only pick up my 4th gen Nano when I want to check a feature against another player. I'll pick up a Samsung P2 or T10, or maybe my Philips bluetooth player for music. I'll pick up my Insignia Pilot (with 8gb+16gb memory) when I need to hear something obscure or seasonal from my collection since it holds it all. I rarely used the Nano as a media player.

To the OP: If you can get a GREAT deal on a 3rd gen Nano, and you're stuck on iPods, then get it. I've got them both (4th and 3rd) in front of me, with the same music on each, and each plays all the same media. IMO the 4th gen does not have enough "value added" if you can get a 3rd gen for $50 less

4D.
5 reasons NOT to buy a 4th gen Nano.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I am pretty ticked my 4G nano doesn't charge with my Apple HiFi... actually I am really ticked.

But, I love the nano itself... I really do. I had a 3g nano for about a month last year and ended up not liking it. The shape, feel, chrome back... just did not like it. I returned it and went back to a 2g nano which I loved. This is the (almost) perfect upgrade to the 2g nano. I'm happy with it overall and for me the battery life has not been an issue.

mb2008

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I do NOT like the accelerometer, but other than that have no problems with my 4G. I never bought the 3G Nano because the form factor just did not feel good in my hand, but have the mini and a 1G nano, which I still love; I just needed more storage. I really see no improvement over the 1G except for ease of finding a particular song and the glass screen does seem scratchproof. If the form factor and storage work for you, get the 3G.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
before picking up my 4th gen nano, I was very concerned about all the posts regarding its 'annoying' accelerometer etc etc, but since buying one I have found that it almost never causes issue, and the battery life goes for a good 24h so what more would you really need?

Personally I never liked the 3rd gen nano, it just seemed so squat and unbalanced. Some of my friends loved the shape though, so i guess its (like most things) up to personal preference. Try and check one out in a store if you can.

PS, the new colours are imo much better than the old if that matters to you:)

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
There's also the issue of size I guess. The new nano isn't much thinner (and it's taller), but it's noticeably lighter; I could feel the difference handling them both at the store. so if you wanna go for the lightest thing all around, that might be a consideration I suppose

As for getting another brand like 4DThinker said (I read your blog post btw, it was very interesting, it helped tidy up some of my own thoughts on the matter :)) I guess that might not be such an interesting option to someone running mac. I mean I already use itunes to listen to my music on the computer, so it won't bother me to use it to load up the player; so the second reason is kinda out with mac users maybe?

Then, no radio isn't bothersome to me at least--I used to be a big fan of the radio, but in the last few years it's become a disgrace at least where I am, every station full of incessant stupid ads, silly talk often over the songs, and the same playlist of a few dozen songs over and over again. If I never even tune in at home anymore, what are the odds that I will when I'm on the street? after all, if I need it to keep up with the world, I can get the headphones with the radio remote on them, for the rare occasions where I want that extra. I mean, when portable tape players or cd players were the standard for personal music listening, most of them DIDN'T have built-in radio, especially the stuff by better brands.

Same for colors--there's enough to choose from, and I thought maybe Apple did that because they couldn't otherwise change them enough to make a big difference from previous gens, but I don't mind; I'm not gonna say it's a company's fault if they have lots of colors just 'cause I'm too indecisive to make a choice lol. 'sides, I found it pretty easy to pick one: I definitely like the green more than all the others. Sure, I like all colors but I only need one, so I'm set. I'll enjoy the others by gawking at them every time I stop by the electronics store ;)

Non-expandable memory. Okay, that might have been an issue for a bit, but then two things occurred to me:

1) the memory, probably under the form of a little card, would have to go somewhere--ie, there would need to be a slot for a card etc. This would a) compromise the compactness of the nano (where would they stick it? not much space, especially this year with the bezeled edges) b) provide yet another place for paperclips and bits of dust and debris to enter the ipod even if it has one of those rubber port covers (they have managed to keep open parts to the minimum with just the dock and headphone port, with the latter not being as much of an issue as it's normally kept covered by your earphones which I believe goes a long way to help making such a small device so sturdy) and c) it would look seriously tacky. Which is an issue when you see the thing maybe 20 times a day like I do. The way I know it would look tacky is that every single portable device I have seen it on, even many with an overall sound design in terms of looks, looks tacky on that part. And while apple are generally famous for makign beautiful things where other manufacturers have used the same technology and come up with something fugly, I think a memory expansion slot would be a challenge even to Apple's designers :p

2) Is this capability really needed? Basically, no. I think one needs to make a decision; if it is likely you will need to expand your memory in the 3 or so years you're going to keep this thing, then maybe you're buying the wrong size in the first place, and you really need an ipod touch (32gb, 64gb) or even go up to the classic, which currently has more storage than the hard drive on my macbook; I'm a music geek, coming from a family of such, and I'm willing to bet that if I put all our music together (yards of shelved records and cds), it still wouldn't quite fill 120gb.

Okay long post I know lol. It's just that I'm actually kind of trying to figure out the same thing as RainMeister (in my case though, I did quite like the form factor of the 3gen nano), so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row, hence the long post. I guess I'm kinda thinking aloud or rather in writing , but I thought I'd hit 'submit reply all the same as it might be of some use to someone else (hey you never know!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.