Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Ah... nope! When the first MacBook Pros introduced using two fingers to right click, PowerBook users who had capable trackpads didn’t get the feature until LEOPARD.

Hopefully this time it won’t take almost 2 years for Snow Leopard to come out, like it did for Leopard to come out.

I should have remembered that one. I had one of the dual USB iBooks. (You know, the ones with the faulty logic board.)

I seem to buy on the year with defaults.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
I know for a fact that this track pad can support 4 fingers, so it's clearly a software issue.

It makes you wonder if this has more to do with Apple wanting more money more often than ensuring customer satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with that, as Apple is a company. I just thought things might have been a little different...

confirmed.. in linux using the new bcm driver I can track 4 fingers and have set up a pretty insane number of gesture commands for use in maya and houdini as well as generic 1 finger tap. 2 finger tap and 3 finger tap (with drag)... l palm detecting works (and is configurable)...

as a side note, is there a new boot camp update? because thats another long standing issue with the 4,1 mbp... the touchpad drivers apple provides are unusable...

it's sad I'm using linux as a primary OS based solely on the trackpad support... I have and use a wacom and a mouse, but sometimes I don't have access/room for them, and it's a sad sad fact but houdini and maya run like crap on OS X.. I wish apple would let us turn off the quartz stuff for the interface while leaving opengl on... it messes up so many apps.

cheers

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
I don't know about you guys, but the trackpad on my MBP is barely large enough for four fingers. I'm sure it's a lot easier without the button on the new ones.

tofudc5

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
learn how to use Exposé!!!

set top left or right for Desktop and set bottom left or right for All Windows!!
you can use one finger, two fingers or 3 fingers, but i suggest 1 finger works best...

it's the same S**t!

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
learn how to use Exposé!!!

set top left or right for Desktop and set bottom left or right for All Windows!!
you can use one finger, two fingers or 3 fingers, but i suggest 1 finger works best...

it's the same S**t!

That's how I have all mine set up. Personally, I like corners better than elaborate gestures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.