Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I had to shut down my computer today, which I don't normally do. Upon reboot, I noticed that it went to the blue screen after the apple logo, and stayed there for about 10 minutes before finally starting completely.

This is a 24" 2007 alum imac with 4 gb of ram. I don't have many things running on startup, Dropbox, Growl, Simplifymedia (turned this off), and a few other things. But what can I do to remedy this? I have only been using this computer for a few short months. What could be wrong? Thanks.

JrdBeau

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I had the exact same problem a few days ago with my new iMac. Initial bootups were fine. Then, after a reboot, it paused for afew minutes on the white screen with the apple logo, then again on the blue screen for at least 5 minutes. Booting from the install DVD and running repair disk and repair permissions did the trick. Not sure which one actually fixed the problem though.

VisionSeven

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I'm having the same problems right now.
My iMac won't boot up :confused:
It stays on the boot screen.

Anymore iMac users with this problem???

JrdBeau

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm having the same problems right now.
My iMac won't boot up :confused:
It stays on the boot screen.

Anymore iMac users with this problem???

Are you able to boot from the 1st Install DVD? It took a long time to boot from the DVD when I was having the problem. It eventually came up and allowed me to access Disk Utility

VisionSeven

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Are you able to boot from the 1st Install DVD? It took a long time to boot from the DVD when I was having the problem. It eventually came up and allowed me to access Disk Utility

I can boot from the install dvd but i can't repair the Disk Permissions.

It says: Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on "iMac" beacause the following error was encountered: No valid packages

:eek:

JrdBeau

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2002
San Jose, CA

VisionSeven

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Weird. i didn't touch or remove anything.
I was just using my iMac and it suddenly logged me out
I logged back in and the menubar disappeared. I had to manually shut it down.

And now i can't boot it up
It stays at the boot screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.