Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
How would I go about encoding the audio from a dvd audio disk with all the channels preserved then play it out of my apple tv.. all from a Mac?

Can the apple tv even play multi channel audio or does it have to be in a video file?

Any ideas?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I wish I could get any kind of a response on this.. technical or just an opinion or recommendation. The thing is that in the USA SACD and DVD-Audio is rather rare to stumble upon but I'm considering importing a number of DVD-Audio disks which have the audio mastered in several channels.

I think it would be totally worth it to get a handful of albums in real surround sound but like most everything I do, I need to be convinced before hand it is going to work. Thanks!

ATimson

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
How would I go about encoding the audio from a dvd audio disk with all the channels preserved then play it out of my apple tv.. all from a Mac?
I wasn't aware that either hi-def audio format was compatible with computers; I thought that they only ran in standalone players.

fj45

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
If the Audio is AC3 then you should be able to create a MP4 file in Handbrake that keeps the AC3 track intact. You won't get any compression. Handbrake supports AAC multichannel but I don't think the AppleTV handles it properly right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.